Gibson Brands Forums

My 30th anniversary Goldtop has 2 Serial Numbers

I just purchased on of the 30th anniversary Gold Tops and I can see where there was a serial number pressed into the wood under the ink serial number , Also I can see a Faint Made in USA under the Made in USA that is very visible. Is this something gibson did or should I be concerned I have something isn't right with this guitar? Thanks One other thing I found on the pots one has 13780x and two have 13782x and the 4th I can't see. Do they come that way sometime, or does that mean the different numbered one isn't original?

Email us at service@gibson.com with pics of the guitar and serial number, and we will be happy to check it out.

I will get pictures in the morning and send them to you, I bought it on E --- so I do have the buyers protection and the seller I got it from seems to be a nice guy and he said he got it new. Just off the top of your head have you ever seen this done from the factory? I saw the extra Made in USA as soon as I looked at it but I didn't see the stamped serial number under the inked one until I got a flashlight to get a good look at the 2nd made in USA. I may try and see if my phone camera will pick it up and if it will I will send some now. anybody manning the email computer tonight?

Mine looks like this:

11245883686_a1f090470d.jpg

I guess you probably returned it.

No I haven't yet, I have tried to email Gibson twice now without any reply. The guy I bought it from said he bought it new and nothing has been done to it since he bought it. I guess they are busy and maybe just haven't had a chance to reply (I HOPE). It does look like a factory finish with a less than perfect job of changing a stock Gold Top to an 30th anniversary model. But I'm still waiting to hear from Gibson to see if that's possible. I have definitely been more than satisfied with Gibson's service in the past and have definitely been Given the biggest run around from them too after paying 3599.00 for a brand new white les Paul Custom from them.(But they did the right thing in the end).. We will see. Does yours have any sign of a change looking at it in person? I cant see anything in the picture. The Ebay picture of mine was from 10 foot away, not close enough to see anything, Thanks again for the reply and the picture

Thanks for your help and replies, I took your advice and contacted service@gibson.com , sent them pictures and I also posted on Gibsons facebook page and Got the answer, "Gibson doesn't do work like that", with the information from Gibson, along with ebays rules on altered serial numbers and the Florida and Maine's statutes on altered serial numbers, Ebay found in my favor and they instructed me to return the guitar for a refund. I've been wanting a 30th ann. goldtop for a while and it looks like I'm still looking. Beware of buying from " websteratlantic " on Ebay. Thanks again DT.

Thanks for your help and replies, I took your advice and contacted service@gibson.com , sent them pictures and I also posted on Gibsons facebook page and Got the answer, "Gibson doesn't do work like that", with the information from Gibson, along with ebays rules on altered serial numbers and the Florida and Maine's statutes on altered serial numbers, Ebay found in my favor and they instructed me to return the guitar for a refund. I've been wanting a 30th ann. goldtop for a while and it looks like I'm still looking. Beware of buying from " websteratlantic " on Ebay. Thanks again DT.

Glad you returned it, it looked very funny.

Glad you returned it, it looked very funny.

Before I packed it back up I plugged it in and tried it out and It convinced me right away that those pickups were not Tim Shaws, I have two Les Pauls with Shaws and the ones in that guitar didn't come close. I took a look and there were numbers stamped on the back but all that told me was theres another thing to watch out for being counterfeited, One other thin, Is the neck on the 30th anniversary supposed to be fat? The one I got was really thin and I thought they were suppose to be like a 57 but I don't know if they are suppose to be thick or thin for sure... thanks again , Merry Christmas

Before I packed it back up I plugged it in and tried it out and It convinced me right away that those pickups were not Tim Shaws, I have two Les Pauls with Shaws and the ones in that guitar didn't come close. I took a look and there were numbers stamped on the back but all that told me was theres another thing to watch out for being counterfeited, One other thin, Is the neck on the 30th anniversary supposed to be fat? The one I got was really thin and I thought they were suppose to be like a 57 but I don't know if they are suppose to be thick or thin for sure... thanks again , Merry Christmas

Mine is average. It is a little wider at the nut than my 79's but more like a recent typical 60's neck. My 82 Heritage V has a neck like the 2013 LP Traditionals, 50's style.

Archived