Gibson Brands Forums

government series ll

tmtstillrockin@51

I've seen them online. They don't have the green case, just a black one and they are tan instead of grey. They do seem to be legit Gibsons. I haven't found any reference to the number of guitars being made, but they have the COA like the first series. I have one of the LPs from the first series and if this set is anything like it, it'll be a nice guitar.

Do any of you have the scoop on the government series "tan" guitars. I just heard Gibson was releasing another version. If so are they going to be limited to 300. Any thots?

Here are some pictures of the same. There is an Explorer also. I'm sure they went fast. I got a V. There was almost a year wait on same.

post-61762-009031800 1387153656_thumb.jpg

post-61762-023555700 1387153679_thumb.jpg

post-61762-062386400 1387153713_thumb.jpg

Why does Gibson not announce their releases on here, or am I missing it somewhere? Congrats on your new V, would have liked to have the explorer version. I checked everywhere online with no luck... A little frustrating..

From what I was told after I bought my Gov't Series LP and was looking for information on them, they are made in such limited numbers that Gibson doesn't even post them on their products list. When I was looking, I just found a sort of press release page.

Why does Gibson not announce their releases on here, or am I missing it somewhere? Congrats on your new V, would have liked to have the explorer version. I checked everywhere online with no luck... A little frustrating..

I was just lucky on this one. I had wanted (not needed) the grey flying v when they first came out. I was a little slow, and they were gone. Sweetwater put on their website that they had another, but I missed that one too!

Several weeks later I received a call from Sweetwater, and that Gibson was going to make another run, so I told them I wanted one for sure.

Months past, and I did not think this deal was going to happen. One day I got a call and it had arrived. I was told the color was "Desert" and case was black, but I still wanted it.......a happy ending.

My guess is you have to have someone where you order your equipment, always on the look out for things that you might want.

I have seen many Gibson guitars that I would have liked, but are never really seen or talked about till there are already gone!

• 1 month later...

I said this a while back about the first Government Series. To my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the Gov't Series guitars are the first time a series of guitars were constructed as a protest against a government action. The joke is that they are "made with wood seized by the government with Dirty Fingers" They are a work of art, an exercise in freedom of speech, a thumbing the nose at "the man" for enforcing a poorly conceived law that forces them to follow regulations of foreign countries that their foreign competition can flat out ignore.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my flying V yesterday . I like it a lot, it is great how Gibson did them right down to the paint color . And it plays great . The Dirty Fingers are great pickups . I missed the first one but i was able to get the 2nd one . great pic of history .

Archived