Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LGO - Help to establish value

Kellie

I have a Gibson LGO that I'm having difficulty establishing a value for. Serial # T 6342 6 is stamped on the inside, along with an "LGO" stamp. From my research it appears that the "T" might indicate it's from 1958, but the rest of the S# makes me think it's from 1963. It has been restrung and plays beautifully. Other than missing the pick guard, it's in very nice shape. It's in the original brown gator-style case - the case is intact, but not in very good shape. I did take it to the Guitar Center (thinking they would help me...lol) and all they said was "we'll give you $400 for it." After I declined, they insisted I let them know how much I wanted for it. So, I'm pretty sure it's worth something! I have a very talented young man who's heading to Nashville next year to attend music school...and he would love to buy this guitar. I want to make him a fair deal. Any help would be appreciated!

I'd like to be helpful and encouraging, as these are OK student instruments, trending from, say, $700-900 these days. The Gibson name is responsible for most of the value, though, as it is one of the ladder-braced models that get little respect for tone. I don't like them either, but I've owned a few for couch pickin' over the years. Hate to say this, but I think you could go into a guitar center with $800 and shop something new w/ xbracing and send a student off with a decently balanced sounding guitar.

I'd like to be helpful and encouraging, as these are OK student instruments, trending from, say, $700-900 these days. The Gibson name is responsible for most of the value, though, as it is one of the ladder-braced models that get little respect for tone. I don't like them either, but I've owned a few for couch pickin' over the years. Hate to say this, but I think you could go into a guitar center with $800 and shop something new w/ xbracing and send a student off with a decently balanced sounding guitar.

Let me add: This young man just bought a brand new $1500 Martin...he also has fallen in love with my Gibson LGO. I'm a keyboard person & know nothing about guitars. I just want to make him a fair deal that's good for both of us. :-)

Well, now he has something to compare to. 'Nuf said...if he likes the LG0, and you like him and don't really need the bucks, maybe you could cut him some slack and sell under book...which as I said, is probably $7-900. This price, however, is a going price for an unaltered one in nice condition, not that the pickguard is so important. Also, I would value it a good $100-150 less if it had the dreaded plastic bridge, but I think that came later.

These guitars are all over Ebay. Look over a few, if you haven't done so, and see if you can hone in on an agreeable value. If he strums the Martin and says 'OOOOO' then plays the Gibson and says 'ho-hum', maybe he should keep the cash in his pocket. If the reverse is true, he blew $1500.

For what it's worth, I believe '58 is the first year for these. I owned a mint condition dark colored mahogany version with almost no good tonal qualities. It might have been a new guitar purchased for a kid who played it a few times and then slid it back under the bed in '59. I paid $750 before I knew much about guitar bang for the buck, and soon after sold it for $900. Shipped it to a donut shop owner in Tokyo. Who knew the Japanese give a crap about donuts? They certainly are handsome little guitars, though.

Well, now he has something to compare to. 'Nuf said...if he likes the LG0, and you like him and don't really need the bucks, maybe you could cut him some slack and sell under book...which as I said, is probably $7-900. This price, however, is a going price for an unaltered one in nice condition, not that the pickguard is so important. Also, I would value it a good $100-150 less if it had the dreaded plastic bridge, but I think that came later.

These guitars are all over Ebay. Look over a few, if you haven't done so, and see if you can hone in on an agreeable value. If he strums the Martin and says 'OOOOO' then plays the Gibson and says 'ho-hum', maybe he should keep the cash in his pocket. If the reverse is true, he blew $1500.

For what it's worth, I believe '58 is the first year for these. I owned a mint condition dark colored mahogany version with almost no good tonal qualities. It might have been a new guitar purchased for a kid who played it a few times and then slid it back under the bed in '59. I paid $750 before I knew much about guitar bang for the buck, and soon after sold it for $900. Shipped it to a donut shop owner in Tokyo. Who knew the Japanese give a crap about donuts? They certainly are handsome little guitars, though.

Thank you for your candid opinion! Yes, I believe it does have the plastic bridge (light cream colored). He loves his Martin and also the sound of the LGO. His family is thinking of purchasing it from me without him knowing (High School graduation present). After doing a bit of research I told his uncle I would be willing to sell it for $600. They want to know if that's the best I can do. Well, I then decided I should really ask the experts...thus my post here. It needs to be a fair deal for both of us. Thank you again!

Yeah...you never mentioned if, or what you paid for it. No one likes to feel he or she got the short end of the stick. Somthing close to market value is always fair play.

My late husband acquired it...from whom & at what price I haven't a clue. He used to do a lot of "horse trading." I'm disbanding our music studio so I have quite a bit to sell (we had a band). I am keeping his Taylor guitar...sentimental value :-)

Best of luck to you. Current Ebay LG0's are ranging for sale from $400 to $1100 right now, but I didn't see any 1st yr models. Good to sell it though, as an unplayed vintage guitar will develop issues eventually. You may want to tune down the Taylor a step, as well. Memories are a fickle ride. I'm in the same boat.

Best of luck to you. Current Ebay LG0's are ranging for sale from $400 to $1100 right now, but I didn't see any 1st yr models. Good to sell it though, as an unplayed vintage guitar will develop issues eventually. You may want to tune down the Taylor a step, as well. Memories are a fickle ride. I'm in the same boat.

Tune down the Taylor a step? Have no clue what you mean, but I'm a keyboard player...no tuning involved. Maybe on my upright, but not on my Roland. By the way, do you think $600 for the LGO is a fair price, given that it's in pretty damn good condition?

By tuning down I meant reduce the string tension by lowering the usual EADGBE (from bass string to high treble) to DGCFAD, in order to keep some uniform pressure on the neck and top, hoping there will be little or no movement as it sits idle.

I feel the price is in line with what's going on out there in vintageland. I'm puzzled by the plastic bridge, which wasn't installed on the LG0 until '62. Your hunch about the '63 year is supported by this. Unless you can see some sign that an old bridge was removed and this one put on, you probably have an early 60's model, a loss in 'collectivity' value. I think the GC that offered you $400 would have put a $600 tag on it, but they would maybe have to haggle if a knowledgeable buyer came in to point out the plastic. In my shoes, I'd take $500 for it were I selling, just because I think the difference between a 1st year model in good shape, and an essentially factory downgraded later version carries that much weight in value. As a vintage nerd, I'd feel obligated to describe to a buyer why this isn't the best version of a 'student' guitar, or just take a little less to send them away happy. If he walks away from $600, you'll have another 'keepsake' and end up taking more time out to re-market the guitar. Might be harder to sell beyond this unique buyer who is already enamored. Maybe you can meet in the middle.

I hope this perspective helps you out.

• 5 weeks later...

I'll chip in my 2 cents here -- I think the $500 to $600 price is just right for the guitar described. My father-in-law has one of these and I seriously covet it. Just a very fun guitar with a sweet little voice. The perfect couch guitar, in my opinion. These are quite variable, so some people dislike them, but a good one is a real joy. Better to sell it a little cheap to someone who'll play it. By the time you're done with eBay fees and shipping your back down to a net $500 - $600 anyway.

Best of luck!

As far as the date, I believe they started stamping s/n on the back of the headstocks in '61

Your FON number does look to be a 1958

Code Letter and Year

Z 1952

Y 1953

W 1955

V 1956

U 1957

T 1958

S 1959

R 1960

Q 1961

After 1961 the use of FONs was discontinued at Gibson.

YEAR APPROXIMATESERIAL RANGE

1961 100-42440

1962 42441-61180

1963 61450-64220

1964 64240-70500

Per vintage guitar price guide the range for EXC COND is $950 to $1200 but it does not reflect current market trends like Ebay

Good Luck

Archived