Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Builders for Vintage Gibson Acoustic Tone?

billder99

More and more, I find the vintage Gibson tone is the tone for my ears and my voice. I know only a good old Gibson can produce the "real deal" tone, but I will be coming into some money this year and I plan to gift myself with an heirloom custom guitar, to be kept and passed on to the most promising family member when my playing days are done. I will get a large body guitar for melodic rhythm style of play (lots of bass lines and tasteful fills and transitions), very dynamic played with a flatpick and hybrid-style, from soft as a whisper to "need earplugs", deep bass and thick trebles.

For a basic build, $6,000 and up, lot's of options: Obviously, the Gibson custom shop is one option (J-45TV or Hummingbird, open to both shapes). I know about Kevin Kopp (K-35 or Trail Boss), John Greven (AVj or Jumbo or Vintage D), David Flammang (J or RS), John Walker (Wise River and Ruby), and also Dana Bourgeois's new heat-aging process (Slope D).

I would prefer to keep the budget under $4,000. I am not a "bling" guy. I like my guitars very basic (maybe an exceptional burst, but no other upgrades). The only significant upgrade I plan is to have a pinch of ashes from my mother & father added to the finish, and possibly a single small custom inlay on the fretboard. Obviously, neck geometry will be custom.

Are there "up and coming" luthiers I have not heard of who are adept at capturing the essence of vintage Gibson tone?

Seems to me you have the budget to buy a REAL vintage Gibson. They also work very well as heirlooms.

The key to the "heirloom" is the addition of ashes from my mother and father to the finish... we have an interesting family history, Dad is a hero and will be important in our family history... Mom was a saint to put up with Dad and 6 kids.

I will also find a great vintage Gibson, the "real deal"... I just played a J-100 yesterday that knocked my socks off for both tone and playability... I may buy it today.

My closest custom built amazing guitar that sounds most like a Gibson is my Froggy Bottom SJ Deluxe. But your not gonna get a custom made one for 4k mine was a whole lot closer to 8k than it was to 4k and I didn't have a custom finish with ashes which is gonna be hard to get anyone to do ashes aren't that fine unless your gonna use a mortar and pestle on your dads ashes. I know it's popular (I'm a artist) and Ive made several pieces of jewelry with ashes for my own family and others and it takes some work. I did see a beautiful guitar that was a memorial to a family they had taken one of the sound hole rings and filled it with ashes and then sealed it it was pretty amazing. You might call George Leach from Phoenix custom guitars even though he's in california he does amazing guitars with great woodland amazing custom inlay of a phoenix bird which could be pretty cool with ashes in that inlay. That said I would say his guitars are more along the Martin line the Gibson typically but he can build anything. I have a master grade or 5A Koa 000 model that is amazing to play or to look at.

Archived