Gibson Brands Forums

NGD POS Orphan

ksdaddy

So I continue to root through the back rooms and cellar of the local pawn shop. There are no more gems to be had. I've done well over the past year but if there's anything left to make any serious profit on, I'll find it purely by mistake. I did fill up the back of the pickup yesterday for not much money. I did score 7 hardshell cases in that lot, which I will just stash and have on hand.

There was one guitar in a back room that I saw, I knew was there, and kept ignoring. I also ignored the First Acts, Crescents, and Hamer Slammers. Yesterday I just had to bring it home. All I know is that it was made in Korea, likely in the mid 80s, and is labeled UMI (United Musical Instruments). I've had tons of 80s Korean flat tops go through my hands and I've never been impressed with a one of them, and I can't say this one will be any different. I was just drawn to the black/red combo. It stands out! And you either love it or hate it I guess. I look at it and all I can picture is the acoustic version of a Washburn Tour 24 from '84 or so.

I brushed it aside for a year because I figured it was just pure Pac Rim garbage tarted up in a trendy color combo that was popular for about a week. But yesterday I actually took the time to assess it. It appears very well made; it's almost like a Guild knockoff with a Martin headstock. The neck is laser straight with a wonderful neck set. No belly or bulge of the top whatsoever. It's clearly not the piece of junk I first thought it was. The nut is even cut well and it has black Gotohs or similar.

It needs serious cleanup and the strings are at least 20 years old. I'm not anticipating any booming tone, in fact it will probably sound like every other Korean dreadnaught, thin and weak, but I have to give it a shot.

Figuring the rest of the stuff I bought, I doubt I have ten bucks into this thing. Five would probably be a good number. Definitely worth a little Meguiars and a new set of strings.

2eull4h.jpg

2afxvsl.jpg

Man, such a great hobby you have.

With any luck, you have some fun, pick up a few bucks, and the guitar lands into the hands of a kid. As a NOT RICH kid I played some crap that also sounded bad. YOU have the talent, knowledge, skills, ability and the desire to make them not only sound correct, but to PLAY as well as they possibly can.

Heck, there are probably a lot of low income OLD folks that would love to have something that would just play a little.

God Bless you man.

[thumbup]

Archived