Gibson Brands Forums

Open tuning - help?

powerpopper

Sorry, don't know if this is too off-topic. If it is, my apologies.

I have not played in open tunings (like, ever) but I'm curious to know what open tuning Jackson Browne is using on this fine version of this fine song:

Jackson Browne - "In the Shape of a Heart"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlojcd3Pzk

Again, my most humble apologies if this is against forum rules for any reason.

Thanks,

pp

From the article he says, "By contrast I have a Gibson CF-100 that has a very narrow neck, 14 frets, and a small body and that’s an amazing guitar. I tune that one to open Eb for my songs “In the Shape of a Heart” and “I’m Alive.”"

So I wonder if it's an open Eb?

No, it's not Eb. Pull out your pitch pipe or tuning fork or what have you. In fact, it's sounding in C#, but I don't trust the video playing over the internet. I suspect it might actually have been played in D. Also, he talks a lot in that interview (and in another article I found) about how each guitar wants to be played in a different tuning. He indeed plays his CF-100 in Eb, but unfortunately this video shows him playing "Heart" (several years later) on a Roy Smeck, one of which he says he tunes "a full step below standard" (i.e. D) but he also says he has a guitar on stage in C# so perhaps he is playing that tune in C# as it sounds on my audio stream.

No' date=' it's not Eb. Pull out your pitch pipe or tuning fork or what have you. In fact, it's sounding in [i']C#[/i], but I don't trust the video playing over the internet. I suspect it might actually have been played in D. Also, he talks a lot in that interview (and in another article I found) about how each guitar wants to be played in a different tuning. He indeed plays his CF-100 in Eb, but unfortunately this video shows him playing "Heart" (several years later) on a Roy Smeck, one of which he says he tunes "a full step below standard" (i.e. D) but he also says he has a guitar on stage in C# so perhaps he is playing that tune in C# as it sounds on my audio stream.

Thanks, Brian. I will check it out a bit further but thanks for putting me on the right track.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I ran down a guy here in LA who has the inside track on this and he had this to say about the video (mystery solved? perhaps):

"That Jackson Browne tune is in Open D tuning, lowered a 1/2 step to sound D flat. He's generally fingering only the bottom 3 strings and letting strings 1 and 2 and sometimes 3 to ring in a drone style.

You can get close to this style in Standard tuning, by playing in the Key of E Major allowing the 1st and 2nd strings to ring open, and using a "power

chord" fingering on strings 3-6. (Try an A bar chord at the 5th fret, but don't bar strings 1 and 2; allow them to ring open.)"

Problem with that explanation is the YouTube video is in C#, or 1/2 step lower than D. If you review this thread I first opined it was Open D, but checking it against a calibrated source (tuning fork) it was C#. Anyone can verify that themselves in 10 seconds. However, as I also stated then, it is possible (but unlikely) that he played it in D but then either the recording or the Internet feed have been slowed down slightly for some reason. But it is sounding in C#.

Plus, in the Guitar Player interview I later cited, Browne said flatly that he keeps a guitar onstage in Open C#. :o/

Archived