Gibson Brands Forums

tom Petty's epiphone

blindboygrunt

But then the world of pop is a small world, as I will now demonstrate.

The Yardbirds also had some pretty impressive guitarists pass through it after Clapton, starting with his replacement, Jeff Beck, who went on to play with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood in his own band, before they left to form the Faces with Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones and Ian MacLagan, after Steve Marriott left the Small Faces to form Humble Pie. Meanwhile, the same chap who wrote For Your Love for the Yardbirds wrote Tallyman for Jeff Beck, and Bus Stop and Look Through Any Window for the Hollies which featured Graham Nash on backing vocals. Look Through Any Window broke the Hollies in the US which eventually got Graham Nash noticed by David Crosby who played with Chris Hillman in the Byrds, and Stephen Stills who played with Neil Young in Buffalo Springfield, leading to the formation of CSN/Y. Meanwhile Gram Parsons replaced Crosby in the Byrds and made friends with Keef Richards, who was playing alongside Mick Taylor in the Stones, having replaced Peter Green in the Bluesbreakers, who had himself replaced Clapton. Taylor left the Stones to be replaced by Ronnie Wood. Peter Frampton, who played with Steve Marriott in Humble Pie, was once in a band called the Preachers, managed by Bill Wyman of the Stones. Greg Ridley of Humble Pie was formerly bassist in Spooky Tooth, and was replaced in that band by Andy Leigh who went on to play for Matthews' Southern Comfort, whose biggest hit was Woodstock, also covered by CSNY, and whose writer Joni Mitchell lived with Graham Nash and inspired the song Our House.

Somewhere in this web I suspect there is evidence that Graham Gouldman was directly responsible for the success of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Fleetwood Mac, the Taylor-era Rolling Stones, Gram Parsons, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, and for the careers of Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart. It would take a PhD to prove it, but you only have to sift: life is a minestrone, after all.

Gouldman was a prolific song writer in the late 60s who had some personal success with 10cc in the 70s but he was a POP song writer so I don't know how responsible he was for some of the artists you mentioned achieving success. Clapton LEFT the Yardbirds because he didn't want to play the stuff Gouldman was writing and I think the Mickie Most Hit Machine was more responsible for Page and Beck and their successes than a single song writer. Fleetwood Mac was actually two bands (or even three)...one had one "chick" (cleaned up for public consumption) and then after Bob Welch left it had three "chicks" (you probably don't want to know what I think of Lindsay Buckingham or Stevie Nicks lol).For me the most intriguing personality of that time frame was Terry Reid. While touring with Cream Jimmy Page asked him to front "his new band". Reid declined but suggested this guy named Robert Plant...Beck wanted him and Reid suggested Rod Stewart because Reid wanted to remain a solo act. Reid also turned down Deep Purple and Reid wrote songs with Graham Nash that were recorded by The Hollies and CSNY. Terry Reid has also toured with an incredible number of top acts.

The Epiphone Frontier was essentially the prototype of the Hummingbird. The far more rare and top of the Epi line Excellente is the #1 most sought after followed by the Frontier.

Surely the Epiphone Frontier FT-110 was closer to the Gibson Dove, what with it`s maple B&S`s.

The Epiphone Eldorado FT-90 with it`s mahogany B&S`s was more or less the same as the Hummingbird.

I am aware there are a few early Hummingbirds with Maple B&S`s too, but not many.

Steve.

The Epiphone Frontier was essentially the prototype of the Hummingbird. The far more rare and top of the Epi line Excellente is the #1 most sought after followed by the Frontier.

Hi Zomby

Knowing that you are an Excellente fan, please be advised that a book will be coming out

devoted exclusively to this guitar. The author contacted me for photos of mine which

unfortunately I could not get to him in time for their inclusion. I will be happy to let you know when it becomes available.

Regards,

Moose

• 2 weeks later...

According to Clapton he did appear on the recording of "For Your Love" but his only contribution was "a short blues riff in the middle eight" (Page 53-"Clapton-The Autobiography) but as a consolation they gave him the "B" side which was an instrumental made up and hummed by their manager Giorgio Gomelsky called "Got To Hurry". this seems to be the last thing Clapton recorded with the Yardbirds. John Mayall did seem to latch on to a lot of young talent just as they were about to make it big but he was very much a control freak and not easy to work with from what I've read.

Clapton in those days was no day at the beach, either. He was a very emtionally young guy, and had a lot of ego and little sense of responsibility. He walked out of several bands in mid performance and was a frequent no show for Mayall...one night when Clapton decided to be elsewhere, a young kid sat in for a set with Mayall and did so well that Mayall eventually offered him the job...His name was Mick Taylor.

mark

Archived