Gibson Brands Forums

Various "NATIVE" Tone Woods....

onewilyfool

Not wanting to Hijack the "sustainable woods" link, I am amazed by how many Luthiers are using alternate tone woods for back and sides. In Texas a lot of luthiers are using Pecan and Mesquite, in the northwest, they are using Port Orford Cedar tops, Myrtle for back and sides. In the old days, a lot of Parlor Guitars at the turn of the century were using quarter sawn Tiger Oak. In California, Redwood tops are used from old reclaimed Wooden train tressles. I guess what I am trying to say is that not only "exotic" and imported woods can be used for guitars. I would love to see Bozeman start to use local woods Or american native woods for their guitars....I think the GIBSON community would eat that up......

I think it's kinda like barbecue. Now stay with me here.

There are 4 basic regions for BBQ in the states. The Carolinas, where many say BBQ originated, then you have the Memphis/St.Louis area, followed by Kansas City, and then Texas. All regions use different rubs and spices, different sauces, and even the meats are different. The Carolinas, and Memphis mostly prefer pig. While KC and Texas prefer beef. All are smoked using different woods, and all areas "claim" they have the best.

Truth is, all areas mainly just use what they have available to them at the time, that is cheap and plentiful.

Texas uses mostly Mesquite, and Pecan woods, because that's what's here. I'm sure if we had an abundance of say Hickory, and Cherry woods, then that is what we would have used.

To make a long story even longer, I guess I wonder if guitar builders should be the same way, and just use what is bountiful, available, and cost effective.

One of the most successful native wood guitar making companies is Godin, a Quebec based manufacturer here in Canada that builds the following brands: Godin; Richmond; Seagull; Art and Lutherie; Simon and Patrick; Norman and Lapatrie.

Some of their guitars under the Simon and Patrick label use mostly imported wood, but the bulk of their product is at least 70% Canadian timber and some of the guitars are 80-90% Quebec, or local, wood.

Of course, the jury will always be out on these guitars as some of us like them and some people simply don't -- but I do feel as a business model the company has built its strength with a concept that excellent guitars can be made from locally sourced woods and then put on the market at very reasonable prices.

Environmental issues aside, I find it very attractive that a company can create local jobs inside and outside its factories and commit itself to cost effective manufacturing practices that lead to good value for consumers.

I own two Godin guitars - a Godin 5th Avenue and an Art and Lutherie Cedar AMI. I feel they are both exceptional guitars for the prices paid.

Hey Ball....how do you like that 5th AVE???? I'm intrigued by that guitar....I think it is like other Godin acoustics, has laminated CHERRY (canadian wood) back and sides and solid top? I think they go for around $500 down in the US, but haven't seen any in the local shops that carry Godin guitars......That is a great example of inovative "green" design....

Hey Ball....how do you like that 5th AVE???? I'm intrigued by that guitar....I think it is like other Godin acoustics' date=' has laminated CHERRY (canadian wood) back and sides and solid top? I think they go for around $500 down in the US, but haven't seen any in the local shops that carry Godin guitars......That is a great example of inovative "green" design....[/quote']

The guitar is fine. It is nothing to get excited about as a stand alone instrument but working it with a dread is quite a treat.

I am not sure if the top is solid, but it does project very well for an archtop acoustic. Mine was $495 CDN but they are super hard to find.

Here is a review giving some of the details.

5th Avenue guitar review

A real jazz player puts one through the paces

Hey Ball.....thanks for the links....I think that "f" hole guitars project MORE for the listener less for the player' date=' flat tops, more for the player less for the listener.....What is the nut width on these anyway???[/quote']

1.75 - same as an OM or an AJ - my kind of guitar.

If Gibson wanted to use local wood supplies' date=' they have a good amount of Engelmann Spruce in the state.

[/quote']

Is that right? Didn't know that. I've read that back in the day Gibson was using maple that was locally grown.

There are TONS of domestic tone woods that would be perfect for Guitar building....Maple, Pecan, Cherry, Walnut, Oak, Myrtle, Hickory, Birch, and a lot of these tone woods have "flamed" versions and have been used for years in Guitar building...Most manufacturers use Rose wood and Mahogany, because the market "expects" these woods....It is more of a market thing than a technical thing....The market limits not the luthier....This would solidify the "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock...

Archived