Gibson Brands Forums

les paul studio

bobaraba67

i'm new to this forum. this is my first post. been an acoustic player for 40 yrs and have the electric itch.

have decided on this one and was wondering what you guys think about it. i don'e know much about electric guitars.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPST14-LIST i play in an acoustic dou and might even use the electric on some of the tunes. we do

a lot of beatle ,csny etc.

what is the difference between the studio, studio pro, deluxe,,limited.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

...what is the difference between the studio, studio pro, deluxe,,limited.

I don't know about the DeLuxe and Limited, but here are the specs for the Studio models;

Studio;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

Studio Pro;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-StudioPro.aspx

Studio Satin;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Satin.aspx

P.

Thanks pauloon!

[thumbup]

Mind you; I'm getting 'N/A' for both of those versions so, being Sherlock Holmes in my spare time, I'm guessing they are no longer available?

That would explain things......

Probably just as well; I really like the look of the Studio DeLuxe...

P.

I haven't searched,but I believe all off the 5 listed above may be hard to come by other than e-bay etc,...Studios are great guitars imo,...just depends what colour/pickup combo you prefer,one of mine has burstbucker pros,....gets the best Sex Pistols sound of all my Gibsons....'''thick as a bulls lug!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''...........................................''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).....................................................And we don't care!

I haven't searched,but I believe all off the 5 listed above may be hard to come by other than e-bay etc.....

As I'm sure you already know, pauloon, the Studio series has been a great success for over 30 years now (introduced in '83) so I'm sure there will be something available.

I haven't searched either but as both the regular Studio and the Studio Pro are listed as being 2014 models perhaps that's the current 'range'?.............:-k

As far as the differences are concerned, I admit I was curious so had a bit of a look.

The Studio Satin is still listed on the main Gibson site with a MMR of $799 so, as that may still be available as well, I've included it in the comparison below.

The two cheaper models (Studio Satin @ $799 and Studio @ $999) both have Maple necks whereas the Studio Pro ($1399) has a Mahogany neck.

The two cheaper models both have Kluson tuners as opposed to the Grovers on the S-Pro.

The same split as far as 'protection' goes; lower priced two come in a gig bag, the S-Pro comes with a standard Gibson HSC.

The S-Satin has a Baked Maple 'board. The others have Rosewood 'boards.

The S-Satin has regular pots, 300k Vol and 500k Tone; the Studio has 500k push / pull on all four V / T pots; The S-Pro has 500k push / pull V knobs, 500k regular T.

The S-Satin has a pair of BB Pros; the Studio has 490R/490T; the S-Pro has '57 Classic ® + BB Pro (T).

The S-Satin is Chambered; the other two are 'Modern Weight Relieved'.

The only other thing which, I must say, seems a bit odd is that the mid-priced Studio is the only one which is listed as having a figured Maple top.

That's about it.

FWIW I happen to prefer Klusons to Grovers and the Studio has a greater number of switching options so it would be my choice from the three.

I'd also have $400 left to spend on other goodies - and could pick up a s/h HSC from ebay into the bargain.

P.

..The two cheaper models (Studio Satin @ $799 and Studio @ $999) both have Maple necks whereas the Studio Pro ($1399) has a Mahogany neck...

...The S-Satin is Chambered; the other two are 'Modern Weight Relieved'.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Satin.aspx

pippy, here Gibson lists the Satin as having a mahogany neck. :-k

It also describes 'chambered weight relief'... something about multiple cavities in the body.

Is this chambering and not weight relief? Myself confused.

Anyway, thanks [thumbup]

Damn lot of choice there!.......as ever with guitars,you would just have to try as many as possible....and pick the one that picks you!

I'm not a fan of chambered,so that could possibly rule out the SS,i also prefer Klusons,but it would not be a deal breaker,i think I would prefer the pickup combo on the Studio pro,but for that kind of $/£..I think i'd be looking for a used 2013 Traditional,...I just dunno' what i'd pick(on paper)......would be interesting to hear Burstbucker pro's with baked maple (love it on my classic custom)...yep i'd have to try all three....but on paper,i'd have to go with the looker ......damn nice!

studio_zpse648cc21.jpg

and change the knobs [biggrin] .

pippy, here Gibson lists the Satin as having a mahogany neck. :-k

It also describes 'chambered weight relief'... something about multiple cavities in the body.

Is this chambering and not weight relief? Myself confused.

Yes, you are right, mKwatra. I must have looked at the wrong tab when I was typing - I had five open at once in trying to spot the differences and they all said 'Studio...'!

Sorry for the confusion!

And I believe Chambered Weight Relief refers to Chambering and not W-R but I could be wrong. Again.

Nowadays they differentiate between 'Traditional W-R' (i.e. Swiss Cheesing) and 'Modern W-R' (i.e. the 'spoked-wheel' type thing).

Gibson have been less than clear in this area rather often...

P.

Archived