Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Epiphone Olympic w/ Brazilian Rosewood fret board & Honduran Mahogany body

Oliade677

Picked up this sweet little Epiphone Olympic a few months back. It spent a good six weeks in the shop with a neck joint issue, but it's back in my hands now. The Brazilian Rosewood fretboard looks fantastic. I was told the body was comprised of Honduran Mahogany as well. The neck is a little torn up. I really enjoy playing it, as the size and weight make it an easy player. The twang is in full effect with the tone turned all the way up, but it's capable of playing a little rock. I played a little last night through my Peavey tube amp and an early 80's MXR distortion plus. After a little tweaking, I got some pretty killer tones. If you've had a chance to play one or own one yourself, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

j12f.jpg

vj5l.jpg

jppw.jpg

Oliade677,

Congrats on a piece of history. Looks pretty good for it's age.

Being made in the Kalamazoo plant along side of Gibsons, Epiphone produced some first class guitars.

(Not that I'm not impressed with what they are doing today)

A two pickup version was my first guitar. It was in '65. Same shape, same color, same pickup(s).

The only difference was a batwing headstock.

I think mine was a '64. I paid $135 for it with a hard case. I had no idea how I was

going to pay it off. LOL Luckily, the studio gave me a job.

Sold it in '72. Been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

I'll see if I can dig up an old pic or two.

Congrats again,

Willy

That would be awesome, Willy! I think the batwing headstock suits the guitar better, but I do like the similarities of this headstock to that of Gibsons. One other thing I've noticed is that the Olympics I've seen with this headstock usually have "Epiphone" written vertically. Perhaps this was a transition between the early Olympics and the batwing models.

I've noticed is that the Olympics I've seen with this headstock usually have "Epiphone" written vertically. Perhaps this was a transition between the early Olympics and the batwing models.

Just a guess,but It may have been an attempt at cutting into the Fender market. There were a lot of similarities.

Les Paul was dead unless you wanted an SG L.P. Custom.

(I see something similar in your rack.) I tried the three pickup, I never could make it work.

Anyway,

Single coil pickups.

Double cut-away.

Tuners on one side of headstock....

Who knows?

And yes, the Epiphone name ran with the headstock.

This would be me and an old friend around 45 years ago. We were doing background music.

We also had a rock band but....no pics.....Sorry..........................................................................Here's one without the trem:

d3b0cfe2-d730-470a-927c-0097d542d755.jpg......................gretsch-212441205850676550.jpg

Enjoy your "new" guitfiddle!

Willy

Congratulations on getting your guitar.

I play a '69 model as my main guitar and its fairly much the same as yours only with Epiphone mini humbucker from a Wilshire/Crestwood and batwing headstock (they changed around '64) as standard. It weighs nothing - no back or neck pain for me - and sounds great.

These 60's Epiphone solidbodies are effectively Gibson SG's with a different body shape and pickups, and with the same great upper fret access. Mine and yours should have very stong neck joints as were not routed for 2 pickups. The Olympic was Epi comparative model to Gibson's Melody Maker in price - though shares same body as its upmarket cousins Crestwood/Wilshire/Coronet - this website explains it well: Epi_Solidbody_info

Your guitar body and neck are every bit as good as a Gibson SG - same factory, same wood (as you have correctly noted in the thread title) , same people, same process, same QA etc. Apart from the body shape and headstock they are the same guitar as a base unit - then each spec level of Gibson and its comparative Epiphone had their particular grade of electronics, bridges and other fittings applied.

Fundamentally its a great guitar as is or with whatever mods suit you! ...I think I'll be getting another.

Enjoy!!

I was shocked to hear the wood types used for the guitar. Certainly a pleasant surprise. I primarily picked it up because of the age. The seller also had a heathkit amp from around the same time. Always amazed by the stuff I find locally. Been a real treasure trove for vintage musical equipment over the past year.

Archived