Gibson Brands Forums

New J-35 at a large Irish session

DRC

I posted this over on AGF as well.

I play a local Irish session once a month and last night was the first opportunity to use the new J-35 (DADGAD). Sessions normally consist of 6-8 players...fiddles, whistles, bodhran, flute, banjo, Uilleann pipes, etc and I'm usually the only guitar player. But last night there were 15 players spread out in a large circle, and the J-35 easily covered it as the only guitar. Many positive comments about how good it sounded mixing with the other instruments. Enough bass to provide a solid audible moving bass, distinct and clear mids and treble to mix with the other instruments when capoed up to the 9th fret. My D-41 was just too deep overall with scooped mids and could sound a bit muddy in the mix, which is one of the reasons I sold it. My Guild F-130R does a great job but has a lot of sustain that can sometimes override other instruments. But the J-35's 'dry' and articulate individual string separation seems to be just what the doctor ordered. When strumming, it provided a beautiful backing without overriding, and playing fingerstyle was clean and clear in the mix. Plenty of volume and projection.... a great session guitar, which is what I was hoping for.

DC

nice. sounds like a solid acquisition for you.

i've been to a few sessions as a player (slow mind you) and it's another world for a guy like me who came up playing mostly standard tunings (save the drop d or like). Love the sound and love attending them as a spectator though.

Hey Gov,

Sessions are a lot of fun and slow sessions are great for learning and gaining confidence. Nothing wrong with standard tuning at Irish sessions. That's how I started out many years ago. Even on the first CD the band I was in did, I was still using standard tuning. Then I met an excellent DADGAD player and that was all it took. Now, standard tuning feels strange! Just keep attending sessions, get the feel for how they're conducted, make a note of the tunes they're playing and work on them until you feel more comfortable about joining in.

DC

Where are you DRC? I've played a lot of sessions , it's a great step toward public performing. The DADGAD or open tuning is a great way to join in as I found standard tuning very repedative. A bit like playing rhythm guitar to blues .

I hope you didnt get too much guinness splashes on the guitar.

Where are you DRC? I've played a lot of sessions , it's a great step toward public performing. The DADGAD or open tuning is a great way to join in as I found standard tuning very repedative. A bit like playing rhythm guitar to blues .

I hope you didnt get too much guinness splashes on the guitar.

I'm in the Huntsville, AL area....Madison. DADGAD is definitely geared towards Irish/Celtic music and actually, I think Guinness helps the tone :)

I spent about six hours today playing tunes with the Irish flute player in my old band....first time with the J-35, and man it sounded great. He loved it.

DC

Archived