Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 EC Rosewood

Greg Jacob

I fell in love with a J-185 at Gibson in Memphis, I just didn't want to lug it back to Minnesota in a packed car with the kids. Unfortunately, I cannot find one locally, buying an acoustic on the internet seems like a bad idea - each one sounds different, even the same model.

I really do not like the Hummingbirds/Doves, too muddy. I have yet to find a Gibson that sounded as good as that J-185. I'm looking for a clear, almost airy, tone.

What I can find are a ton of Taylors, and I equally like the 414ce. I just wish I could play them side-by-side.

What do you think? Get what sounds good, or take a chance on the Gibson?

I would look guitarcenter online. That's how I got my j45 custom... My guitar center barely has any Gibson acoustics so I took a chance online. Good thing about GC online is you can take it back within 30 days for a full refund if you don't like it. At least that's what they tell me. So you can always take a chance online and if you don't like it, get your money back.

I happen to have a J-185 EC Rosewood and I absolutely love it (see my avatar). The Hummingbird and Dove are great guitars but to me, the 185 Rosewood is over the top. Don't settle for the maple 185, it sounds too tinny for my taste. I suggest either having the guitar you played shipped from Memphis as someone else mentioned, or take a chance and buy it on line from a reputable dealer who will take it back or exchange it if not satisfied. I compared my 185 to Taylor and even Martin when shopping and the 185 won easily. Enjoy!

Archived