Gibson Brands Forums

Trad Pro P90's...How many made? Will there be more someday?

old mark

For Christmas, I bought myself a Les Paul Traditional Pro - P90 with the coil taps, ebony with a '60's neck, which actually is sort of a compromise '60's neck...

DSCN2024_zps95c82afb.jpg

I love this guitar, and I know it was a special production run made for GC...Just for curiosity, about how many of these were made...and might Gibson bring this back sometime?

Thanks for any help, you Gibson insiders and experts.

I'm not an expert but having asked the same question a while back my understanding is this;

Coil-splitting and coil-tapping are two different things.

Coil-splitting removes one of the coils (of a humbucker) from the circuit.

Coil-tapping cuts-down on the number of turns used on the (P-90) bobbin .

P.

I'm not an expert but having asked the same question a while back my understanding is this;

Coil-splitting and coil-tapping are two different things.

Coil-splitting removes one of the coils (of a humbucker) from the circuit.

Coil-tapping cuts-down on the number of turns used on the (P-90) bobbin .

P.

Learn something every day! Looks like you're right, based on what Gibson's site says about the guitar. My only beef with what Gibson says is the first sentence, because they're defining a "coil tap" as I (and you) would a "coil split":

"A "coil tap" feature usually refers to splitting a humbucking pickup, but in the truer sense of the term these new single-coil units are wound with a "tap wire" that eliminates a portion of the coil, to access a second sound from each pickup. In full mode each pickup sounds like a traditional thick, snarly Alnico V P-90 in its position (approximately 7.0k ohm in the neck position and 8.6k ohm in the bridge), but lift the push-pull switch on each pickup's volume control, and resistance levels drop to 5.0k ohm and 6.0k ohm respectively, for a brighter, sharper single-coil sound that is still rich and authentic, and not as thin as other pickups that are split entirely in half."

For Christmas, I bought myself a Les Paul Traditional Pro - P90 with the coil taps, ebony with a '60's neck, which actually is sort of a compromise '60's neck...

DSCN2024_zps95c82afb.jpg

I love this guitar, and I know it was a special production run made for GC...Just for curiosity, about how many of these were made...and might Gibson bring this back sometime?

Thanks for any help, you Gibson insiders and experts.

Damn that's a nice guitar... and I learned about coil taps... thanks Pippy!!

I checked with Guitar Center, and after exchanging several emails with different people there, they have no idea...ANYONE from Gibson know about how many of these guitars were made, I would appreciate the information. Thanks! msp_confused.gif

Archived