Gibson Brands Forums

59 ES335 Reissue Strange Ringing

nitefly

Hey there Gibsonites,

So, I recently become the proud owner of a '59 ES335 Reissue (Nashville model). I love the tone of the custom buckers in the semi hollow body and as far as playability is concerned it is the easiest axe I own to play and the finish is flawless. It has been three weeks since I got her and I have started noticing a strange ringing sound when play the open G string and when fretting the high E string on G at the third fret.

My first thought was that it was touching the frets but the ringing sound seems to be coming from the pickup area, specifically near the bridge PUP. It sounds like a something is vibrating and causing the high pitched sound, almost as if something is loose. I haven't had a chance to change the strings yet so that will be my first step. Has anybody experienced this issue before?

Try tightening the switch tip of the toggle switch. Mine did something similar and it took me ages to figure out what it was. :)

Hi LysanderSky,

Well it didn't seem to be loose but I tightened it a little anyway and it seems to have done the trick. [thumbup]

Thanks!

The retaining wire he is referring to was a small wire attached to the bridge that ran across the individual string saddles to help keep them in place. I've run across that too in the past, it would cause a rattle if it touched the string..

I don't know if the new Gibson's even use it anymore, I don't have one my 05 ES335, you may not even have one. On closer examination, I do have one!!! That's what I get for looking at the guitar w/o enough light.

If you are using an unwound "G" string, and a metal saddle, that sometimes creates the ringing. For the heck of it, loosen the "G" string some, take if out of the saddle groove, put on top of the saddle, tune it up and see if it still rings.

If it doesn't ring, that means when the string sitting in the saddle groove, the groove could be cut wrong. It's worth a try.

The retaining wire he is referring to was a small wire attached to the bridge that ran across the individual string saddles to help keep them in place. I've run across that too in the past, it would cause a rattle if it touched the string..

I don't know if the new Gibson's even use it anymore, I don't have one my 05 ES335, you may not even have one.

If you are using an unwound "G" string, and a metal saddle, that sometimes creates the ringing. For the heck of it, loosen the "G" string some, take if out of the saddle groove, put on top of the saddle, tune it up and see if it still rings.

If it doesn't ring, that means when the string sitting in the saddle groove, the groove could be cut wrong. It's worth a try.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the ringing has come back again, so tightening the toggle switch must of just been a coincidence and I can now deduce that the issue is intermittent. I will check what you have suggested.

Thanks again

Another thought, just double checked my 05' ES-335, and it does have a retaining wire, I just didn't see it, probably because I didn't have enough light in the room when I looked.

When I looked at my bridge I remembered something else, make sure the saddle is firmly up against the bridge. Sometimes they have a little bit of play in them, and from my experience having three ES series guitars, they will have some movement, and then I just push them back into a solid contact with the bridge.

That could also contribute to a ringing.

Ken, Brantobrien,

Firstly thank you for the time you have taken to respond. I looked but cant see any wire that runs over the saddles, either Gibson hasn't installed them on the 2013 model or I have missed it. I did look in the daylight but didn't see anything. I changed the strings and set the intonation on 4 strings that needed it. So far the ringing isn't present. I will see how it goes now, if it comes back I will do what you suggested Ken and test to see if some of the saddles may not have been cut properly.

Have a great week!

Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper (600-800) and fold it in half. Take the string out of the slot, and lightly file the string slot in the saddle. A burr in the saddle slot will cause the string to rattle in the slot. This also goes for the nut as well.

May we assume this is a brand new guitar...?

I bought my ES335 a few years ago and initially it was 'plagued' by similar issues to that described...intermittent buzzes and resonances...

After much playing...particularly amped at quite high volume...and a couple of string changes...things settled down nicely... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper (600-800) and fold it in half. Take the string out of the slot, and lightly file the string slot in the saddle. A burr in the saddle slot will cause the string to rattle in the slot. This also goes for the nut as well.

So far we seem to be on the home straight, so it would appear that this won't be necessary but good to know. Thanks

May we assume this is a brand new guitar...?

I bought my ES335 a few years ago and initially it was 'plagued' by similar issues to that described...intermittent buzzes and resonances...

After much playing...particularly amped at quite high volume...and a couple of string changes...things settled down nicely... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Sure is, Gibson production date is specified as November 2013. I got her on the 31st of January. :)

So far the buzzing seems to have gone away after the first string change and actually I have recently being giving her a good cranking! [biggrin]

A 59 Nashville Historic reissue will not have a saddle retaining wire, which was a later feature. The '59 Historic (Nashville) is period-correct in that regard. At least mine is.

A 59 Nashville Historic reissue will not have a saddle retaining wire, which was a later feature. The '59 Historic (Nashville) is period-correct in that regard. At least mine is.

Thanks for the clarification j45nick. [thumbup]

Archived