Gibson Brands Forums

What strings do you use for your ES 335?

Guitarooster52

Although I don't own a 335, I have a 175, I use D'Addarios on my guitar and love them.

I use a wound G string because I love the rich tone it adds to an already warm, luscious sound.

Some of my friends who do play 335s use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Skinny Top strings. They swear by them for blues and classic rock.

I've always used the OEM Gibson Brite Wires in light gauge (10's) on mine. Have been considering moving up to 11's or even 12's on the 335. For those already using heavier strings on the 335, any tension issues?

Been using the Vintage Reissue Nickel Wound's on my SG with single coils. Have always wondered how those might sound with the '57 HB's, but haven't got around to trying them out.

So far it looks as though I'll be trying out some Ernie Ball strings. Come to think of it, a friend that I haven't seen in a long time used to use a light top heavy bottom set on his 335. I have no idea what brand. I might give those DR Pure Blues a try as well. I'm trying a set of Dean Markley Signatures on my LP right now and they're not bad. I had been using Les Paul Vintage strings before. I was using D'Addarios on everything else for a while. I wonder if I'll ever find "the tone" and settle on it!

Thanks guys

I still have a few sets of Gibson flatwires, 11-51, and replace the 11 with a 12, also d'addario, black diamonds all are 11 or 12 to 51 or 52. this has a lot to do with type music you play as well as the feel you like, but i have had flat wounds on the 345 for as long as i can remember.

peace

Archived