Gibson Brands Forums

Inherited

sparty

What's the neck profile like?

Is it chunky or some skinny thing?

If one was doing a refret could they not radius the fret board? A few other small changes would need to be made but I couldn't see why this wouldn't work.

I had found a web site that had serial number information for Gibson and said mine was '66. The neck probably is not as chunky as a Smeck but it is not by any means slim. The only thing I cared about when I got it was the width of the neck. All I had played for 20 years when I got it was a classical and a 12 string, both wide necks. I tried playing a lot of steel stringers but the necks were all too skinny. I didn't care that the top had the cheesy refinish or that it looked like it had been to war, it had me at hello when, as if pulled by some unseen force, I was drawn to the pawn shop. And the sound it made when I just strummed the mismatched strings told me for sure that I had found "the one".

I've always wondered why they weren't more popular.

I had found a web site that had serial number information for Gibson and said mine was '66.

What is causing the confusion with the OPs guitar is that you cannot determine whether it was made in 1966 or 1969 by the serial number as Gibson rolled them over so the same range appears for both years. So we were trying to figure out if the two can be differentiated by any features. I was just curious if there was some feature on yours that showed it to have been made in 1966, Somebody appears to come up with the best answer though revolving around whether the guitar has an ADJ bridge or not.

Again, I never referred to the neck as thin but shallow. Essentially they are flattened so while wide they are not as deep, or maybe thick is a better word, as the necks found on older Gibsons.

Archived