Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG Toggle Switch Issue

Axelorox

I've have a G400 for around 2 and a half years. Around half a year ago I started having issues with the pickup selector. Whenever I would push it from the rhythm position to the treble position, there would be no or barely any sound. The issue seemed to go away after a few weeks but has recurred again. What's going on here and can it be easily fixed?

In such cases I use contact cleaner spray and toggle several times after applying it onto the contacts.

It is also a good idea to bring the toggle switch into the middle position when not playing. This minimizes the fatigue of the contact tongues as far as anyhow possible.

It is also a good idea to bring the toggle switch into the middle position when not playing. This minimizes the fatigue of the contact tongues as far as anyhow possible.

Thats great advice that I always forget to do. I am going to put my guitar away now and switch mine in the middle position.

As far as the toggle switch issues, definitely use some contact cleaner, if that doesn't help, you may consider a new switch.

• 1 month later...

Yes I have just had my son's g400 repaired for the same reason, the neck pickup was dead. Just a dirty contact required some cleaner and some solder to improve the contacts action. Second time in about 4 years this has happened so I think we will replace the switch, all the rest of the electronics have been changed out but the switch that came with the kit would not fit into the Epi body (Gibson style right angle switch). It sounds all good again now though.

Archived