Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG G-400 Pro vs Gibson SG 60's Tribute (2013)

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for quite a while. Roughly 5-6 years now.

One of my very first guitars was a fender squire which I played for a while but just didn't like the look, tone and feel of.

My second guitar I got was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop in CherryBurst which I have and play today.

I have had the Epiphone Les Paul for quite a long time and don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Just I feel like upgrading to playing something

slightly different,which has a great tone, is comfortable and a lot lighter.

Of course as you probably guessed from the title I really really want to get an SG! I love them, i've tried them out many times but I need help deciding what to get.

First off there is the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro in Heritage Cherry

and

Secondly I am also thinking about getting the Gibson SG 60's Tribute

In terms of specs,looks and feel please advise me which one to get.

The price of the Gibson really doesn't bother me, It is fine but I don't want to spend more than that.

Epiphone

G400PRO_CH_Splash.jpg

Gibson

SGTR6V5CH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

If you are looking for a guitar that you will actually play, the answer is....play both and pick the one you like best

If you are looking for an inexpensive, playable SG, the answer is Epiphone

If you can afford the Gibson, and you like it better than the Epiphone, after playing it (over the Epiphone), get that.

Personally...I'd get both...lol

Why buy a Gibson (to play), if it is uncomfortable when the Epiphone might actually be a better, more comfortable "players guitar". ?

The only way to tell is to play both guitars, that have had the best "as is" "set up" possible (without modifying anything).

Dig it.

So, what is a proper "set up" you may ask ? Proper nut slot depth and spacing, proper truss rod and bridge saddle height adjustment for proper string height (properly cut nut also contributes to proper string height), proper height of pickups and pole pieces in all pick ups, proper string gauge and stretch ("slinkyness"), properly set intonation, type of strings (round wound/half flat/flat wound). All of these variables will effect sound/tone/playability. In the end, it's up to you...which guitar do you like best ? I like my guitars and have guitars from several manufactures. I don't have them because of the name on the headstock. I have them, because, to me they sounded and felt right...to me. It has been my experience that cheap components on inexpensive guitars have a faster failure rate than more expensive guitars. Components can be changed out, the "feel" and playability of a particular guitar...not so much.

I own a G-400 but if i had more money to spend when I got my G-400 I would have gone with the Gibson SG. To me it felt and sounded better. But as I always say don't take advice from some jack bag on the internet. Try them out and decide for yourself.

Experience tells me the Gibson will almost always come from the factory better setup than the Epiphone. But both will be put together fairly well and once properly setup will sound and play well.

Play them, see what you like. Nobody knows what you like like you do.

I'd personally get the SG 1961 50th anniversary with P-90s, which I did. Because I like P-90s. Try a lot of them out at a guitar store. You might fall in love with something you've never heard of before.

Archived