Gibson Brands Forums

How would sound an epiphone LP standard with Gibson Pickups?

Natural_Blues7

I've read that there are people that put gibson pickups on a epiphone and its sound gets even better than it was, is that true? can and epiphone MIC modified sound cooler than a Gibson? i would put on it a couple of Gibson p94 pickups or p90.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus from 2008

Hello Natural, and welcome here.

Can't say too much about Epiphone made pickups but own an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus with Gibson '57 Classic in the neck and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position stock. This guitar also features series/parallel option through push/pull tone pots.

This may seem like heresy but I bought this one to complement my Gibson Les Paul guitars. The tones are awesome. When using the series options they all have in common, I can not tell the Epiphone apart from one of my Gibson Les Paul Standards and hardly from a second one in a double blind listening test of clean sound recordings.

Don't know about the share of the Gibson pickups for that, but it is amazingly close.

I have two "recent" Epi Dots - standard ones - and see no reason whatsoever to change the pups unless I cared to put P90s on the sunburst and leave the HBs on the cherry.

The "newer" pups from Epi are quite good, to the point that I'm utterly convinced that amp and guitar settings make far more difference than replacing them with this or that Gibson type. Some folks have messed also with capacitors as well as changing pots, both of which can make a difference too.

BTW, compared to some other brands, I've found the Epi has far more "clarity" with the same amp and settings. How much of that is due to better pups, or better pots and caps, may be a point for folks to argue forever.

OTOH, I've read that before three or four years ago the Epis tended to have less clarity. Epi sez they upgraded the whole system, pups, pots, etc. around that time.

Right now I'd be perfectly happy hauling one of those Dots to play anywhere a Dot may appropriately be played. Not at a bluegrass festival, but for about any "electric" style. I must admit I prefer my archtops in some venues - but certainly not for all-out loud-band rock, blues or country.

m

I'd say it depends a lot on which epi pickups you're talking about. I'm very happy with the sound of my Epihpone 1961 50th anniversary SG with P-90s. There's a lot of variety in P-90s, even with pure Gibson, and during the 50s to 60s there were 3 or 4 common variants. They seem to get "hotter" as the 60s go along, and I like the medium hot ones of the early 1960s ad late 50s for sound. To me that's what the P-90s in my SG sound like. I've watched a couple videos on the net with the 3 P90 hollowbody Epiphone and I didn't care for the sound on that guitar at all. I'm guessing they're way less "hot" pickups than mine. I.e. they seem modelled on earlier P-90s. Less quack, more smooth etc.

I'm not that familiar with your particular guitar, but it seems to me epiphone made a lot of strides recently to up their game in the pickup department (last 5 or so years) and your guitar sits right on the edge of when that seems to have happened. There are also other choices that are reasonably priced in the P-90 market, like GFS ($35 or so) and Taylor and on and one. You can spend a week or two finding all the varieties and as soon as you order something you'll find another. Lots of youtube videos that showcase various P-90s. Here's

with the GFS. Go from there, see what sounds good to you.

Archived