Gibson Brands Forums

50' wiring plustop pro

Tree_Zapp Pro

Hi! I want to try out the vintage/50's wiring mod on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro with coil split but don't know how to do it. Could someone please help me? I got coil splitting on both volume knobs if that helps. Reason i want the 50's mod is because i want to retain some treble while turning the volume knob down which i do alot so this mod would hopefully be perfect for me. I have everything stock only because i personally think that the wiring and probucker pups are great! I might go ahead and install a warmer neck pickup at a later time cuz i want something close to that sweet Mark knopfler brothers in arms sound.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

If you want pictures of the wiring or something just ask and i'll post it:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I want to try out the vintage/50's wiring mod on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro with coil split but don't know how to do it. Could someone please help me? I got coil splitting on both volume knobs if that helps. Reason i want the 50's mod is because i want to retain some treble while turning the volume knob down which i do alot so this mod would hopefully be perfect for me. I have everything stock only because i personally think that the wiring and probucker pups are great! I might go ahead and install a warmer neck pickup at a later time cuz i want something close to that sweet Mark knopfler brothers in arms sound.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

If you want pictures of the wiring or something just ask and i'll post it:)

Anyone?

Anyone?

I have never done it to a guitar with coil split, but I would think the mod is the same. There should be a wire between the tone and volume pots for each pickup. Just move that wire from the end lug of the volume pot to the wiper (center) lug and that's it. Repeat for the other pickup.

50's wiring attenuates the entire signal when turning down the volume knob, most when volume is half the resistance range down, i.e. with the audio tapered push/pull volume pots around 8 of 10. It also degenerates the tone control to an additional volume attenuator within the lion's shares of either control ranges. Frankly spoken, when it is about sound, 50's wiring is no more than a historic antic. I sadly have to live with it in some of my guitars featuring two or more volume controls but one tone control only, and it is nothing but bad. :(

For retaining treble with the volume controls tweaked down, bleeder capacitors between the hot and the center tags of the volume pots are required. Foil capacitors like polystyrene or polypropylene types are usually preferred over ceramics, but they take caution when soldering since they can't stand heat well, in particular when using lead-free RoHS solder. The cap value to go with depends on pickups, cable capacitance and personal preferences. You will have to compromise since humbucking and split tones will be affected differently. As a rule of thumb, you will end up with 220pF, 270pF, 330pF, or 390 pF in the end I believe, perhaps different ones for neck and bridge pickup.

Hope this helps.

Archived