Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Randmo

I'm a new player (little over a month), I would like to experiment with strings on my J-15. I currently have d'addario 12 gauge installed. If I change to different brands (same gauge) how much does that affect setup?

Welcome, congrats on having such great taste in picking a J15 as your 'starter guitar"!

Same gauge strings, different brand will not affect setup for you.

Most, you'll notice a difference in sound due to the strings being new and "jangly". After a bit, you'll notice they sound a little different than the first set. But, even the pick you use will affect the sound.

At this, exciting point in your journey, don't worry about these details - Just Play! G'luck!!

Welcome, congrats on having such great taste in picking a J15 as your 'starter guitar"!

Same gauge strings, different brand will not affect setup for you.

Most, you'll notice a difference in sound due to the strings being new and "jangly". After a bit, you'll notice they sound a little different than the first set. But, even the pick you use will affect the sound.

At this, exciting point in your journey, don't worry about these details - Just Play! G'luck!!

I'm having a BLAST! I don't know why I didn't start this 40 years ago...

Archived