Gibson Brands Forums

Calling The Vintage Guard

E-minor7

Even though these were Black Diamond strings they still cost money which was in short supply. If you broke a string you did not toss it but threw it in the guitar case. When you broke another, and if the break was high enough, you would twist the broken string on the guitar together with the one in your case above the nut.

Recalled - GibsonLowE.jpg not that easy make those ends meet. .

Sorry, I did noit explain this well and mean't to get back to it but got sidetracked. Even though these were Black Diamond strings they still cost money which was in short supply. If you broke a string you did not toss it but threw it in the guitar case. When you broke another, and if the break was high enough, you would twist the broken string on the guitar together with the one in your case above the nut.

Thanks, Although I'm not the one that asked the question, I was certainly awaiting your answer.....I didn't understand what you meant either but what you say here makes perfect sense.

On another note.. why is it that good novice type musicians seem to have a hard time with money? I know not all do but it seems most or at least ALOT do, by that I mean they always at least give the appearance/impression that the instruments and most anything to do with them is just too expensive to suit them? I know the time you refer to back when Black Diamond strings were commonly used times were hard but in all honesty I think most would agree we as a society just have more than our predecessors. I'm as far as you can get from comfortably wealthy but when it comes to my music I don't cut many corners,,,but then again I'm about as far as you can get from an accomplished musician,lol! I'm just thinking out loud here really, and don't mean to offend anyone so whoever reads this please don't take it the wrong way I'm ready for anyone to point me in the right direction if they believe my thinking is skewed.

Using Black Diamond strings and playing el cheapo guitars had nothing to do with musicianship or times being hard but just with being kids with parents who were not about to buy us such things.

Speaking for myself and I am sure others I never thought of myself as being deprived or suffering any kind of hardship. It is just the way it was and if you could get your hands on a guitar that was in the playable range and had strings on it, it would keep the fun and the dream alive. The way I see it, if nothing else it sure made you appreciate that "good" guitar when you finally were able to land one.

Using Black Diamond strings and playing el cheapo guitars had nothing to do with musicianship or times being hard but just with being kids with parents who were not about to buy us such things.

Speaking for myself and I am sure others I never thought of myself as being deprived or suffering any kind of hardship. It is just the way it was and if you could get your hands on a guitar that was in the playable range and had strings on it, it would keep the fun and the dream alive. The way I see it, if nothing else it sure made you appreciate that "good" guitar when you finally were able to land one.

I see your point, when I was a kid if I wanted anything I was taught real early the way I got it was to work for it.....mowing lawns in the summer, or shoveling snow in the winters and later on finding a part time job after school and weekends.....I don't ever recall asking my mother or father for money for anything that was not deemed a necessity and they supplied those things even without me asking so yeah I understand what you are telling me, never got my first guitar until I was grown up and married with a family and that too was an 'elcheapo and was probably one of the biggest reasons I never learned to play very well because it was a real bear to handle and took all the enjoyment out of the process. I didn't get a good guitar until a few years ago and have found it to be much easier to learn with. The guitar does not make the player but it does make it a little easier because when you do something right it can actually sound good, some of the cheap ones that just don't happen.

Archived