Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt AJ-500 MNA

K.E.B.

Hi all, been a while. I have a decision to make. I have an opportunity to snag an AJ-500 MNA circa 2007. Without closer inspection, immediately I noticed the strings were very low to the fretboard. Not acceptably close. Buzzing, slapping etc. Everything looks original. The instrument is in nice shape. The nut looks big and high to me. The bridge also looks very high and big. Maybe this is how they come? Anyhow, the point is the neck most likely needs adjusting. Maybe some stronger strings too? Is it possible the guitar could have left manufacturing in bad shape? Could there be an inherent problem with the neck? How much of an adjustment is there on these? How good was the quality control on these Masterbuilts? I'm going to take a closer look and inspection. Just wondering what others experiences have been with this line.

The price is 399 but I think I can talk them down to 350. It would actually be a trade. I'd be giving up my main electric, a VOX AC4C1-BL and possibly another acoustic. I'm considering it for songwriting / performing solo. How do I make sure it's not twisted? Visually?

The price is 399 but I think I can talk them down to 350. It would actually be a trade. I'd be giving up my main electric, a VOX AC4C1-BL and possibly another acoustic. I'm considering it for songwriting / performing solo. How do I make sure it's not twisted? Visually?

Definitely, look down the neck you will see if there is a twist. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. BTW, does anybody know what the street value or retail price was when these guitars were still being made?

$499, with case.

It's very likely the saddle is simply too low. Originally, this guitar was shipped with a shim under the saddle. It' could be that a previous owner removed it, and it's screwed up the string height. This might also be compounded by a top that hasn't retained it's arch due to lack of hydration, or lack of seasonal truss rod adjustment. As long as the neck isn't twisted, these are all easily repairable or adjustable conditions, and a competent luthier or tech should be able to help you get the guitar back into better playable condition.

Red 333

Well, I looked at it again today. It has not been in tune or maybe even strung for a while is my guess. I spent a good 20 min playing and tuning it back up. It's not as bad as it was action wise. Maybe just a slight truss adjustment now. The only thing I notice out of place is where the neck meets the body on the bass side it seems to take a slight dive. Is this a twist? Now that you mention the arch in the body I don't see much of that. It seems more flat. Not sunken though.

It has a nice tone overall. The neck is wider than my current acoustic and suits me better. It appears to have not been played much at all. Just a few strum lines on the pickguard. A few minor dings here and there from laying the back of the neck against a table or chair. One ding in the top from some accidental move. Other than that this guitar has probably spent most of it's days in a case. It'd almost be like buying a new guitar off the rack for me. Monday is my 50th birthday and I'd like to get a decent instrument in my hands again. Haven't had a nice solid wood acoustic for some years now. I need to decide on snatching this model up while it's available or holding out for something else. I feel like its calling to me. When that happens I usually answer the call. Unfortunately this time it will mean sacrificing the electric gear which seems appropriate for what my goals are nowadays. We will see!

I don't know if I can do it. I really like the tone of this guitar, but this is what I'd be sacrificing to the Pawn shop. "Musician's Friend" is what I paid, "Market" is what I can get on E-Bay / Craigslist etc. "Pawn" is what they'd give me. Would anybody here do it?

Fender Sonoran SCE Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Musician's Friend 350

Market 175

Pawn 85

Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster Electric

Musician's Friend 500

Market 250

Pawn 125

VOX AC4C1-BL

Musician's Friend 300

Market 150

Pawn 75

Electro-Harmonix XO Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker

Musician's Friend 90

Market 45

Pawn 25

MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Musician's Friend 150

Market 75

Pawn 40

Paid 1400

Market 700

Pawn 350

Masterbuilt AJ-500 MNA 350 -(asking 399)

Well what can I say. I've been bit hard. Common Sense and Money got into it with Tone and Feel and guess who won? I'll be getting my Strat and Vox back in due time with interest but the effect pedals and Sonoran will be most likely let go to Pawn. The Sonoran is a good guitar with perfect intonation, but this guitar is in a different league. I couldn't let it get away. $350 out the door. I gave the truss a nudge in the right direction and will keep the strings in tune obviously so we'll see how she does in the next few days. I've had a Taylor mahogany in the past so I know what a good instrument sounds like. This just might be my favorite out of countless guitars over the years. Looking forward to songs being finished and written with it. Thanks for all the advice and info on this gem. I'll have her setup with some nice strings soon enough. Pawn says they use Ddarrio for all their acoustics and these are fresh, so I'll keep 'em for a little bit. Then put some nice coated ones on there how I like 'em. Happy Birthday to Me! lol

$499, with case.

It's very likely the saddle is simply too low. Originally, this guitar was shipped with a shim under the saddle. It' could be that a previous owner removed it, and it's screwed up the string height. This might also be compounded by a top that hasn't retained it's arch due to lack of hydration, or lack of seasonal truss rod adjustment. As long as the neck isn't twisted, these are all easily repairable or adjustable conditions, and a competent luthier or tech should be able to help you get the guitar back into better playable condition.

Red 333

This is the issue. Spot on. I'm hydrating it now. The process is slower than I'd like of course, but it's working. I live in Arizona where humidity averages around 20%. Lower at times! I've just moved here within 2 years and have never considered I'd have to keep my guitars hydrated. Luckily I have an old Epiphone hardshell case to keep it in. This guitar will no doubt be restored to almost perfect condition. For 325 + tax it is the best money ever spent on a guitar. Solid wood all around makes a difference. It's very comparable to the Taylor I had some years ago. Louder though. The Taylor was very quiet. Always felt it needed more volume. Not this one though. The volume is very generous.

Congrats and the other guitars will come home soon enough ( maybe) remember epiphone states the humidity should be around 40 %. Once the body of the guitar swells a bit the sound will floor you trust me my dr 500 still blows me away

Archived