Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar pickup terminology "hot wound pickups"

crust

I occasionally see the term "hot mini humbuckers" to describe the working aspects of particular Electric guitar pickups. Without me looking over the internet, can anyone explain what "hot" actually means,"the hottest pickups". Hmmm, sounds like a lady....msp_rolleyes.gif

Why do I (or do I not) want "hot" humbucking (or any other type of "hot" pickups) in my electric guitar ? This is an area of electric guitars that I have no knowledge of.msp_unsure.gif

Hot usually refers to the output of the pickups (the volume) and I think it works with more winds on the pickup equals hotter output...

A3031532_zps374e963c.jpg

You would not want hot pickups if you want more mellow sounds from your guitar.. You WOULD want hot pickups if you play metal or 80s rock type stuff (that's a generalisation)...

Hot usually refers to the output of the pickups (the volume) and I think it works with more winds on the pickup equals hotter output...

A3031532_zps374e963c.jpg

You would not want hot pickups if you want more mellow sounds from your guitar.. You WOULD want hot pickups if you play metal or 80s rock type stuff (that's a generalisation)...

I had a Gibson Gold Top with dirty finger pick ups that a guy want a lot more than I had in it , That bad boy would talk yo you

Archived