Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for info on a 2000 SG and an 2012 LP Studio

Hi there, I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with some specific info on these two guitars. I'm having trouble finding reliable specs, and what i do find is often conflicting.

Years ago I bought a used SG that the serial # dates to July of 2000 and I was just wondering what the specs were for that particular model - was it standard across the board or were there options? I was always under the impression that the pickups were the standard 490R/498T combo but i've recently purchased a 2012 Les Paul Studio (serial # dates to Jan 10 2012) that according to info i've read on several sites should have the same 490R/498T pickups with a coil split....but the LP is a lot hotter than the SG (and maybe a little brighter as well) and there is no coil tap. Almost every spec sheet i find for 2012 has the coil tapped pickups.

So i'm sort of curious as to what each of these guitars is actually loaded with. Is it possible that being built early in 2012, the Studio might actually be a 2011 model year so that's why i'm getting the conflicting information?

Here's a couple of crappy cell phone pics. I can get better snaps later if needed.

Thanks [smile]

407D4E19-B8FB-4DFB-AC57-A40E328AB593_zps6bxcncdk.jpg

The previous owner of the Studio had swapped the speed knobs for top hats, FYI

FAC8EF85-48F1-4219-B85A-ED1DAE7C06A8_zpsqg678gxm.jpg

I suppose you would want to see what the specs were for the standards for the given build years. Gibson Customer Service may be able to tell you about that. but I do think 490R/498T would a reasonable assumption in both cases. (I think it was just recently that classic 57 combos were loaded with new SGs and LP Standards)

(I guess you could pull them out to see what is labeled too)

and even with the same pickups, they're not going to sound quite the same. The SG IMO sounds a bit more focused and darker than the Les Pauls with the same elec. in them. I have a 95 LP and a 2012 SG (both standards) with those pickups

These two guitars sound completely different.

Thanks for the reply. I should say that i didn't expect them to sound the same but just that they sound so surprisingly different as to make me think that perhaps they don't actually have the same pickups.

it's quite possible they don't MF

if you send Gibson Customer service the serial numbers, they can probably trace back to what the specs for those years were.

the one in question I suppose would be the SG.. I think the Studio might be safe to assume the 490/498 but I can't be 100% sure myself.

It sounds like you might have bought both of them used from your description. Are you absolutely sure that they are even still stock? What I'm saying is, even if you get the specs, there's a possibility some of the electronics have been changed since they were new. One of the other posters has suggested that you take the pick up out and look at them. That might not be a bad idea. Have you done that?

It sounds like you might have bought both of them used from your description. Are you absolutely sure that they are even still stock? What I'm saying is, even if you get the specs, there's a possibility some of the electronics have been changed since they were new. One of the other posters has suggested that you take the pick up out and look at them. That might not be a bad idea. Have you done that?

you're right they were both used so i can't say for certain if they are still stock. I did have a look at the bridge pickup on the Studio and there weren't any identifying marks save for a Gibson logo. is there something else i should be looking for?

i will say that regardless of what they are both loaded with, i absolutely love them both and i'm just interested in tracking down the specs out of curiosity.

you're right they were both used so i can't say for certain if they are still stock. I did have a look at the bridge pickup on the Studio and there weren't any identifying marks save for a Gibson logo. is there something else i should be looking for?

i will say that regardless of what they are both loaded with, i absolutely love them both and i'm just interested in tracking down the specs out of curiosity.

Sorry, I don't really know much about those two particular models.

Archived