Gibson Brands Forums

1989 J-200???

onewilyfool

That guy seems to be asking a pretty high price for it. Overall it looks to be in pretty good nick, but it's too bad that it doesn't have the original brown-on-pink case with it.

If the guitar sounds good and has no issues, then it's definitely worth going for, if you can come to a good price or trade with him.

I had an '89 J-100 for many years (here's Ren holding it during a 1999 factory visit):

Renwith89GibsonJ-100summer1999.jpg

...and it was a nice-sounding guitar, would be structurally the same as the J-200, cosmetically a little different, obviously.

Fred

Wiley, I think if it`s a graet sounding guitar with no issues, and you are happy with the price, go for it.

The early Bozeman ones have a Fullerplast finish instead of nitro, a double dovetail (Paddle) neck joint, and European Sycamore back and sides. Some of my favourite Gibson Jumbo`s are these earlier Bozeman made ones.

Steve.

It is my understanding that Henry J. had Ren build some guitars for NAMM in January 1989. I have seen folks ask some crazy money for these as they are considered prototypes and were built by Ren. If this is a hand-built J-200 prototype it would command more scratch. But it is more than likely just an early production line guitar. I will say, however, the best sounding Bozeman-made J-200 I have yet to get my hands on was a 1989 guitar. And it is not only me. Last I heard from the owner of a local music store was that the owner had about six guys on a list wanting to buy it if he ever decided to sell.

Can that Fullerplast finish be touched up or repaired, or ike poly finish, impossible to fix? Neck resets on these require removing the fretboard, then cutting off the paddle, then removing the neck, then setting the neck, then replacing the fretboard…right??? Very costly repair I'm guessing??

Can that Fullerplast finish be touched up or repaired, or ike poly finish, impossible to fix? Neck resets on these require removing the fretboard, then cutting off the paddle, then removing the neck, then setting the neck, then replacing the fretboard…right??? Very costly repair I'm guessing??

Yes, but only if needed. If the guitar doesn`t need a neck reset by now, and I think Gibson as a rule, are generally better than Martin in that respect, then it should be fine.

As for the finish, I`d just live with how it is, as Fullerplast isn`t easy to fix.

Steve.

I will say this for Gibsons. Maybe I am just lucky but I have been playing them 50+ years and have owned some flippin' old ones. Not one of them has either had nor has needed a neck reset.

+1 on that, my 62 Texan was perfect after 50 odd years. I wonder if it is to do with the way Gibson builds a radiused arched top into their guitars.

Steve.

Archived