Gibson Brands Forums

Special cord??

Kaiser Bill

Cords like you mentioned exist, but generally they aren't of the highest quality, and can cause latency and degradation of tone.

Here's one http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-GuitarLink-AudioLink-Series-4-inch/dp/B001OXEDA0

For better sound quality and more control (such as gain adjustment and headphone monitoring) a proper audio interface is recommended. This is the one I own.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

It'll also allow you to plug in any microphone you want, has Phantom power, and various other features...

Plug guitar in, plug USB cable from interface to computer. Install drivers. Done.

A worthy investment for any musician...

-Ryan

Cords like you mentioned exist, but generally they aren't of the highest quality, and can cause latency and degradation of tone.

Here's one http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-GuitarLink-AudioLink-Series-4-inch/dp/B001OXEDA0

For better sound quality and more control (such as gain adjustment and headphone monitoring) a proper audio interface is recommended. This is the one I own.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

It'll also allow you to plug in any microphone you want, has Phantom power, and various other features...

Plug guitar in, plug USB cable from interface to computer. Install drivers. Done.

A worthy investment for any musician...

-Ryan

Ryan, does the Scarlett 2i2 come with a USB cord or do you have to buy that extra? No big deal, I just couldn't find on the Sweetwater site if it was included or not. :)

Ryan, does the Scarlett 2i2 come with a USB cord or do you have to buy that extra? No big deal, I just couldn't find on the Sweetwater site if it was included or not. :)

Comes with the cord, a CD with drivers (though you're probably better off going to Focusrite's website and downloading the latest drivers) and some basic DAW...I think Ableton Lite or something.

Great little box; lightweight (aluminum i'm pretty sure), durable, Zero latency, and Quiet. I actually leave it plugged in almost all the time and plug my headphones into it for everyday listening; music, Youtube videos, whatever. It's better than any sound card you'll have in your PC.

-Ryan

Guest Farnsbarns

Comes with the cord, a CD with drivers (though you're probably better off going to Focusrite's website and downloading the latest drivers) and some basic DAW...I think Ableton Lite or something.

Great little box; lightweight (aluminum i'm pretty sure), durable, Zero latency, and Quiet. I actually leave it plugged in almost all the time and plug my headphones into it for everyday listening; music, Youtube videos, whatever. It's better than any sound card you'll have in your PC.

-Ryan

I find this interesting. I would have thought there were clear advantages in a PCI/PCIe interface over a USB interface. I've used both high end internal sound cards and high end external USB interfaces and always got better results from PCIe sound cards so my own experience confirms what the numbers say. Your experience is obviously different?

I find this interesting. I would have thought there were clear advantages in a PCI/PCIe interface over a USB interface. I've used both high end internal sound cards and high end external USB interfaces and always got better results from PCIe sound cards so my own experience confirms what the numbers say. Your experience is obviously different?

When I said "it's better than any sound card you'll have in your PC" I was assuming the OP didn't already have some high-end PCI/PCIe sound card. Most people don't have them.

In addition, although the OP only wanted to plug his guitar into his computer, XLR connections for microphones is something that most PCI/PCIe cards just can't offer without the addition of an external breakout box. For recording using microphones, I still think an external USB interface is the way to go for most people.

-Ryan

My inexpensive usb interface - got it a bit over 5 years ago so it may no longer exist - works fine for recording stereo radio/tape/whatever and to connect to the line out of my little AE amp.

I did have to get a 1/4 to rca converter for the guitar "out."

I'd say I've had absolutely no problems with it.

m

Archived