Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best hard case for Gibson 335?

kth

A couple of ideas to consider:

I am not sure if these are available for the 335 but they are great for a Les Paul. They have many sizes so you may have to contact them about a 335. These things are tough. I am sure it has protected my Les Paul better than most cases would have done.

SKB iSeries: SKB link

"iSeries injection molded waterproof cases are constructed of ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin and feature a gasketed, waterproof, submersible design (IP67) that is resistant to corrosion and impact damage. Its stainless steel molded-in hinge, patented "trigger release" latch system with TSA recognized and accepted locks, four reinforced locking loops for customer supplied locks,comfortable, snap-down rubber over-molded cushion grip handles, secure stacking, and automatic ambient pressure equalization valve (MIL-STD-648C) all contribute to its military grade design."

Another case that is supposed to be really good, but I do not have any first hand knowledge is a Calton Case. Calton Cases

"The exterior shell uses custom reinforced fiberglass composite, the interior of your case is constructed using the exact dimensions of your instrument, enveloping it in the highest grade & density foam and finished in the custom velvet of your choice. The result is a perfect custom fit that provides the maximum level of protection available, in the color combination that matches you & your instrument. It is the perfect and proven solution for owners of fine instruments and professional touring musicians.

I have 2 Calton cases for my archtops, custom made by Keith Calton in 1979 and the mid 80s. They are expensive but near-indestructible and have always protected my guitars totally. I think SKB are good too if you need it waterproof. However these things are heavy-duty and take up more room than any ordinary case!

Calton cases

Nothing beats a Calton, but....... not everyone (especially me) can afford a $1000 guitar case.

The (not so) secret ingredient of Calton cases is FIBERGLASS. There are fiberglass cases made by mass production mfg's, and "modern" versions made with carbon fiber. I've seen these "off-brands" at very reasonable prices.

I would avoid any of the "plastic" cases.

Other than strength and impact resistance, the most important criteria for a case for commercial airline transport is LIGHTWEIGHT. Not only do YOU have to carry it through airports, baggage handlers are not fond of heavy stuff. The heavier it is the more likely it is to be abused, either accidentally or PURPOSELY. So there is a weight/strength ratio to consider.

Archived