Gibson Brands Forums

Neck size

troysgguy

So I know Gibsons Angus Young SG has the smallest neck, but what about Epiphone? What is the smallest Epiphone neck? $1800. is pretty steep for the Angus Young name. I am partial to SG's. I think this topic has been brought up so let me clarify. SG and wilshires with the thinnest necks. Thanks.

So I know Gibsons Angus Young SG has the smallest neck, but what about Epiphone? What is the smallest Epiphone neck? $1800. is pretty steep for the Angus Young name. I am partial to SG's. I think this topic has been brought up so let me clarify. SG and wilshires with the thinnest necks. Thanks.

Thin front to back or thin side to side? All the current Epi SGs have the 60s slim taper neck which is generally about 1.7" wide at the nut, 2.25" or so wide at the body, and 3/4" thick at the nut and about 7/8" this at the body. They're pretty thin.

The guitarcenter site says "The Angus Young SG carries a neck that’s just 0.775” thick at the 1st fret, and 0.850” thick at the 12th, with a nut width of 1.550”"

So yeah it's a bit thinner side to side for sure, but seems about the same thickness front to back. My brother had an SG Custom in the 70s with that super narrow neck and honestly it's a little too thin even for my small hands.

Archived