Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrade EJ-160

robertg1952

Hello members, first time posting here. I was wondering if anyone has changed the volume and tone knobs to

the vintage Gibson top hat ones and if so, was it a straight swap with the amber speed knobs?

I have also heard the pick up is not very loud. I haven't had mine plugged in yet.

What are your thoughts?

Bob

hi there yes ive changed my control knobs to gold hat top with gold inserts i think they are whats on a real gibson j-160e . ive all so changed my tuners to cream coloured marble stone kind klusons they look fantastic . i do how ever need to make the holes a tad bigger as the bushes are a little to big but thats easily fixed. but getting back to your question yes using amber knobs or hat top knobs work fine as long as you get a set to fit shaft pots 6mm as mine are. unless not all ej-160e pots are the same measurements not sure. thanks Richie ps not tried the pick up much .i know it works fine but not played it much as i dont have a amp yet i mainley play my guitar unplugged acousticly .

hi there yes ive changed my control knobs to gold hat top with gold inserts i think they are whats on a real gibson j-160e . ive all so changed my tuners to cream coloured marble stone kind klusons they look fantastic . i do how ever need to make the holes a tad bigger as the bushes are a little to big but thats easily fixed. but getting back to your question yes using amber knobs or hat top knobs work fine as long as you get a set to fit shaft pots 6mm as mine are. unless not all ej-160e pots are the same measurements not sure. thanks Richie ps not tried the pick up much .i know it works fine but not played it much as i dont have a amp yet i mainley play my guitar unplugged acousticly .

Thanks for the information. I also replaced my tuners, with the vintage looking ones from Stewart-MacDonald.

My problem with the ones on the guitar, was that they buzzed quite a bit, especially open d and g. The new tuners look as good as the originals

and best of all, don't buzz.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived