Gibson Brands Forums

Early 80's ES-335 dot '59 Re-issues

Jasonspaceman0

Greetings Gibsonites,

I'm a tele man really so I hope there are no exceptions to me being on here...

But everyone's got to have a Gibson with humbuckers at some point, so a couple of years ago I saw a good deal on this '82 ES-335 dot '59 re-issue. I've really started to get into it and it's slowly becoming my 2nd favourite guitar (it's a '68 tele in case you're wondering).

It has a big, big sound, really rounded, warm, very loud, crisp on the bridge pup, and it's got a wonderful neck, medium width C but quite slim front to back. The build quality and craftmanship is also second to none, it's beautifully put together.

I'd love to know a bit more about these early 80's 59 re-issue 335s, so if you Gibson experts can answer any of the following, I'd really appreciate it...

How are these re-issues generally regarded - against the 'holy grails' (the real thing), and other 335s through the years generally including the newer ones? Did Gibson have any dips in quality like Fender in the 70s?

Does it have the Tim Shaw pickups, and why are these so highly regarded? If it doesn't, what are they and what are these like?

I've heard that these guitars with the Tim Shaws can be vastly improved with the 100/300k pots changed to 500k, that they make the sound less dark & muddy. Sounds fine to me now, and the guitar is untouched and in 9.5/10 condition. Any thoughts on this?

Which factory was this guitar made in? The serial number / made in USA stamp on the headstock runs horizontally (I've heard this denotes which factory)?

Were these just available in natural? This is the only finish you seem to see on these guitars.

Sorry for the long post, looking forward to seeing what you Gibson experts know.... feel free to ask me about your teles, and if you haven't got one, why not?

D

post-66065-032857900 1403624340_thumb.jpg

The early 80s ES-335 DOT reissue guitars seem to be very well regarded on internet forums. Like the originals in the late 50s, I have seen them in cherry red, natural, and sunburst (though the DOT Reissue sunburst is quite different than the old sunbursts).

The general consensus is that Gibson made many undesirable changes to many of their model specs and to the production process through the late 60s and 70s.

Enjoy your 335...I would always like to have at least one Fender single-coil and one Gibson HB guitar.

I have an '81 ES 335 reissue. I've owned it for about a month, and it is my number one now. I can't answer all your questions, but from what I have read the early 80's reissues are very well regarded, and well made. Yes, they do have the Shaw pickups (easy to verify--they have a unique ink stamp). I had my 100/300 pots replaced with 500's, and the sound improved quite a bit. You can tell where yours was made through the serial number. Send a note to Gibson and they will tell you. Mine was made in Kalamazoo.

photo11_zps5661d009.jpg

Archived