Gibson Brands Forums

bottleneck choice

blindboygrunt

They sure look the business BK.

so much variation though. Did you just take a stab at what you wanted ?

The ones that have the ends cut at an angle, giving two different lengths so to speak , seem like a great idea.

I do have one of those reversibles...gold Rockslides...don't use them lately.

Nothing I have used compares to my jewel Blue Diamond original model made of Blue Morano glass from Italy before the supply of old blue soda lime bottles dried up. I bought a spare. They have the tone for me.

I found the plain ones the best, but without confusing you, they all vary in glass thickness and good to have a few, for say, thickest glass for National with high action will sound a bit clunky on an ordinary acoustic with thinner strings and lower action.

I also have a fat, fat brass number that creates a sensational fat tone, BUT the poor little finger feels like it has been doing push-ups and the end of the neck and bout of the guitar can cop it!

Like guitars and everything to do with them....... YMMV!

BluesKing777.

Yeah , this is where the confusion sets in.

Like you say, a big fat heavy slide will give great tone, - on a high action guitar. Like a national!

On a normal guitar it will clack and thud.

bit like the high action=loudness. totally depends on circumstances.

These myths permeate.

cheers BK.

Yeah , this is where the confusion sets in.

Like you say, a big fat heavy slide will give great tone, - on a high action guitar. Like a national!

On a normal guitar it will clack and thud.

bit like the high action=loudness. totally depends on circumstances.

These myths permeate.

cheers BK.

Exactly like the rest of guitar playin', I suppose- you just keep trying things til they work (for you).

Sliding is a peculiar pursuit - you can get going on it real quick sometimes, but the details can take til Doomsday.

I like talking about it, and hopefully contribute something in this forum where I mostly learn off others. It would be good to keep the thread going, but bottlenecking isn't really that big here on Gibson territory.

Bear with me a mo, I need to go back...

Back in the dawn of time, I went to learn a few more riffs on my Tele from a guy I picked out of the wanted ads. It was miles and miles away, but it was really enjoyable, so I kept at it until I got totally sick of the driving. One time I turned up and the lessons were...rock licks and then after he got me going on something, the teach pulled out a tube and ran that along the strings of his Strat.....oh oh, what the ..... was that? So he said to get me one from the music shop before the next week, and we would do the sliding as "B" supplementary lessons. I got this rotten chrome thing that was so heavy, I could hardly hold it with my whole hand, let alone the pinkster! Add to this, an expert friend gave me a slide his friend made for him out of a beer bottle neck - I could have fit my whole hand in it.

Later, someone gave me a skinny little worn out brass one that fit perfectly - I am really sorry whoever it was if you are reading this, but you know, memory from that era....and I keep thanking you every time I play it - it is in the picture of my National Trojan up above (Far Left in from of the Mateus bottle). I just played the Trojan with the old brass before for some Open G stuff. Dunlop still flog them, but the one in the link looks pretty shiny!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/brass-slide

I am not going to tell you what to do, BBG - that never works, but it took a long while for that little thing to feel normal and get it under control. There are lots of exercises like Tom F was doing - lifting off and back to the string...build up the muscles needed. After you have your playing in tune, which slide you get is a matter of personal preference, but you could play the same thing with any of them. Buyin' slides is the real easy part. Son House said something to the tune of: "If you don't shake that slide, it sound like the devil himself". Vibrato.....

I will help you cheat time a bit though - listen to Willie Johnson and Fred McD over and over and over and over- great anyway and not a hard chore - leave the fancy RJ stuff til later.

Fred (Possibly miming):

Willie (Gospel slide!):

BluesKing777.

Sliding is a peculiar pursuit - I like talking about it, but bottlenecking isn't really that big here on Gibson territory. You can get going on it real quick sometimes, but the details can take til Doomsday. BluesKing777
"Peculiar pursit" --exactly so. Looking at it one way, it's a kind of a simplified fingerpicking, minus the fret-hand contortions. As you get familiar with where the good notes are, there's a simplicity to it that is satisfying, as is the harmony of the drone notes and all that. On the other, it's a step into the abyss. You have to let go the precsion fretting control thing and just go there. Got to let go of mind, rely on touch and feel.

• 3 weeks later...

You do know they're £250 ? Right?

Ha!

Havin' a laugh....

I thought he expensive slide would be a must to have with the Elliot Capos and the....???.....hand made wooden string winder, Connoly leather guitar strap (Bentley seat leather) et al....

Though Son House may rise from his grave to strike you down with your £250 slider.

BluesKing777.

Archived