Gibson Brands Forums

Best source for blank pickguard materials?

Jjunk

Hi all - I've dug around on here about this topic but am still curious about your opinions. I'm looking for a good source for high quality pickguard materials... preferably blanks of the raw material so I can cut my own design. It will be replacing the stock tortoise-y guard on my L-00 Pro which leaves a bit to be desired. I ordered a blank of amber tiger stripe celluloid from Stew Mac (supposedly the "real" stuff, not the printed stuff –http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Pickguards/Tortoloid_Pickguard_Material.html ), and unfortunately it is much much uglier in person than the pics on their website.

Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated. A material more environmentally friendly would be a bonus. What I'm mostly afraid of: using something beautiful I like and learning later on that it's chemically bad for the wood or finish / doesn't resonate well / etc.

Thanks everyone!

Axiom I believe sells sheets. Their material is celluloid so they charge a $25 hazardous shipping fee.

LMI also sells sheets of different varieties.

Please let me know if you find a nice firestripe material !

Thanks fp. Here's a pic of the Stew Mac material. I cut it down to match the original profile and still need to clean up the edges. Obviously it isn't glued on in the pic - I think I'll keep looking but at least wanted to entertain the idea and get a visual. The pic is of it laying on my Halcyon parlor guitar (very similar top wood and finish to the L-00).

Photo%20Jul%2007%2C%2011%2003%2046%20PM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived