Gibson Brands Forums

does anyone know of any tonal differences between Epi Dr500M & DR500MCE

lucille64

I am looking at buying either a DR500M or the DR500MCE.

I am not interested in the electronics or no electronics but do want to know if anyone has played both acoustically and found any acoustic tone differences ?

I realize that the DR500M is a straight dreadnaught and the DR500MCE is a cutaway Dreadnaught and some small tone differences might exsist because of that but both have the same specs wood/ neck / nut / saddle wise.

The DR500M is a satin finish and the DR500MCE is gloss so that might play a small part as well'

Also does anyone know who might have one of the original Masterbilt soft cases with the hygrometer in it for sale ?

I cannot speak specifically to your question per say but I have heard tests on the same Gibson model comparing the cutaway and standard version and I could not hear the difference. I have a DM-500 MCE (electric cutway)gloss finish and both AJ-500 RCE (electric) and PCN-500 NS (non-cutaways)and they all sound great. They say the satin finish make it more responsive but my gloss sounds as good as the other two IMHO. The advantage to having the electric is the built in tuner (which is a very nice feature to have). Given a choice between the two models, I prefer the cutways.

Thanks Dennis.... good solid information that is very appreciated.

I really want a standard non cutaway dreadnaught that just sounds real nice and warm with decent fat tight lows, lower mids and clear but not shrill highs.

I have plenty of cutaway 000 , Grand Concert , 00 , NEX and Jumbo bodied acoustics I was just looking for that everyday pick it up and play or write songs on piece

I have the DR-500M and it's great. My brother got the DR-500MCE right when it came out and he loves it too. When it first arrived it had 12's on it and I thought it sounded pretty much the same as my non-cutaway. He soon switched to 10's as he prefers those for playing leads so hard to say if it's changed over the last couple if years. I should see if he will put some 12's on it and compare now.

Thanks Dennis.... good solid information that is very appreciated.

I really want a standard non cutaway dreadnaught that just sounds real nice and warm with decent fat tight lows, lower mids and clear but not shrill highs.

I have plenty of cutaway 000 , Grand Concert , 00 , NEX and Jumbo bodied acoustics I was just looking for that everyday pick it up and play or write songs on piece

I see more and more used AJs for sale on ebay...for awhile they were few and far between! I may be in the minority, but I perfer the DR to the AJ (and Mahogany to Rosewood) The AJ seems to bassey to me, but that's the beauty of the individuality of it. Good hunting, patience pays off!

Archived