Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany VS Les Paul Studio Faded Worn Brown

King Loudness

Hey, Let me first introduce myself really quick. My name is Will and I'm a 14 year old guitarist from Eastern Canada. In short, I'm looking for a Les Paul to add to my collection and I've settled between these two. I always thought they were the same guitar but they appear to be different models! So can someone post a rundown of the differences between them? Thanks.

Is this a joke on me or something? Those two are the same guitar dude. Do you mean the faded Les Paul with maple cap vs. the Vintage Mahogany Studio? Hard to say. If you can find a Vintage Mahogany new with case for the original $699 then I'd say that. I know that you could find the faded Studio for under $900 with case recently. If the price is really close I'd personally go with the Faded Studio with maple cap. Don't forget, the Studio Faded has higher output 490/498T pickups while the Vintage Mahogany with definately sound different where it is all mahogany and is equipped with the Burst Bucker Pro pickups. Good luck dude

Is this a joke on me or something? Those two are the same guitar dude. Do you mean the faded Les Paul with maple cap vs. the Vintage Mahogany Studio? Hard to say. If you can find a Vintage Mahogany new with case for the original $699 then I'd say that. I know that you could find the faded Studio for under $900 with case recently. If the price is really close I'd personally go with the Faded Studio with maple cap. Don't forget' date=' the Studio Faded has higher output 490/498T pickups while the Vintage Mahogany with definately sound different where it is all mahogany and is equipped with the Burst Bucker Pro pickups. Good luck dude[/quote']hmm, I didn't realize they were the same one. Yes, the one with the maple cap is the one I'm comparing the VM to.

I'd personally go with the Faded Studio with maple cap. Don't forget' date=' the Studio Faded has higher output 490/498T pickups while the Vintage Mahogany with definately sound different where it is all mahogany and is equipped with the Burst Bucker Pro pickups.[/quote']

+1

Anyway, what are you looking for (in the looks and features area?)

I think the VM would be better for you then... as the other has the maple cap and looks different, the VM lets you look at the bare wood. BB pros are great pickups, I have them on my std. faded and I love them, your best bet is to try to find both guitars at the same store and then try them with the same amp model you will play through, if they have one in there.

Good luck and post picks when you get her!

By the way, welcome to the forum

I think the VM would be better for you then... as the other has the maple cap and looks different' date=' the VM lets you look at the bare wood. BB pros are great pickups, I have them on my std. faded and I love them, your best bet is to try to find both guitars at the same store and then try them with the same amp model you will play through, if they have one in there.

Good luck and post picks when you get her!

By the way, welcome to the forum[/quote']Thanks Man! I should have her by mid March for sure. It has to be ordered in and I can't order it until the end of January 'cause I'm still wating for payment to go through on my old Yamaha superstrat.

I have the VM, as many know... I hear a lot of debate about It's only good for lighter stuff... I completely disagree, I can get Metal as extreme as System of a Down... Or as Aggressive as Metallica. It just takes a person to play that... But on the other side it can do any blues etc... I think the BB pros are incredible pickups that are very Flexible. My vote would be for the VM also. but as Thundergod said, Only you can make that decision.

And by the way, if you want to hear the guitar pm me and I'll make a Youtube video showing what can be done.

As noted by blackhawk233' date=' those BB pros can do metal and everything else.[/quote']Yeah, I played a used Standard Faded that had them and they sounded awesome. I'll probably still go for a Bryan Gushner humbucker in the bridge after a while unless I really love the BB pros with my Mesa head.

Howdy King Loudness! I see you play in multiple neighborhoods too! biggrin.gif/

I have a Vintage Mahogany LP. It's a great guitar. If push came to shove and I had to give one up, I would keep it in favor of my LP Classic with Fralins.

I like the tone of the Vin 'Hog a lot. I kept the stock Burstbucker Pro pickups, and they're just the right blend of bright crunch and dark warmth. Having no lacquer on the body helps the resonance too. I've had it not quite two years, but I remember that the day I bought it (new) it felt like a guitar that I had played for years and was thoroughly broken in. Last year I added a Bigsby B5 to it, but I used a ZZ Guitarworks mounting harness so I can restore it back to original whenever I want.

Archived