Gibson Brands Forums

Some New Epiphones Have Nitrocellulose Laquer Finishes

Red 333

Epiphone's site lists the finish on the ES-175 Premium as "laquer."

My link

Since they do not say "nitrocellulose laquer," I'm guessing it's either acrylic or water based.

Waiting for someone to buy one of these and give us a report!

Red 333

I ran into one today, GC out in King of Prussia PA. A really really great guitar. I picked it up not wanting to love a 900 dollar retail Epiphone. But I couldn't help myself. Really well put together, sounded terrific acoustic, even terrificer plugged in. Did everything a fat hollowbody jazz box is supposed to do, and I need a fat hollowbody jazz box.

This one was Natural. It was not nitro'd. It was...satin at best, smelled like regular old poly but was on there very thin. It's the wood, for me. Just not meant to be natural, too coffee table-y. Had it been one of the painted ones it would have left with me, in a decent new dreadnaught case, a grand out the door. A little steep, but for the painted one I would have jumped on it.

So I'm off to find one, maybe look around tomorrow around here, but I doubt I'll find one. Maybe a big sale for Labor day or something and I'll order one.

A great guitar. I'm a Gibson and Fender guy, and I balked at the money for one of these things, but it is definitely a NICE guitar.

rct

Ok.

Black ES-175 Premium, case for it, pair of straplocks, $858 and some coins, no tax, free shipping. Should be here Thursday of this week. I'm pretty stoked, I hope it is a keeper and I get a review of the paint job and some pictures up here this weekend.

rct

Archived