Gibson Brands Forums

Another noob trying to identify a guitar

es-335cc

Hey everybody! So I went to Guitar Center yesterday, and I played a Gibson acoustic that has the body style of a J-45. It's a sunburst finish, it had the tiger stripe pickguard, dot fret markers, the old smaller Gibson logo on the headstock, and was on sale for $1,500. It looked just like an Advanced Jumbo, except it had the dots on the fretboard instead of the arrows. I wish I had paid more attention to the tag.

I went back today, but it wasn't there. I looked on the Gibson website, and it looks just like the 1942 J-45 Legend, but that one is $6,700 in other stores. Does anybody know what it is? Thanks!

I'm afraid your're going to have to ask one of the store salesmen. Guitar Center web site allows you to browse their stores' inventories, you might spot it before they take it down if it recently sold. Just narrow the search down to Gibson acoustics and start there. (I don't now if all their stores post pictures of their inventory, I know the prominent stores do.)

I had a strange experience at GC just a few hours ago. They had this awesome looking Gibson with round shoulders and "arrows" on the fretboard and with a "striped" tortoise pickguard. They said it was an Advanced Jumbo and it was marked $1999, but the dude told me it was mismarked and was really $1499. If purchasing it had not meant certain divorce, I would have taken it home on the spot, but I think it was either not really an AJ or was not priced correctly.

I had a strange experience at GC just a few hours ago. They had this awesome looking Gibson with round shoulders and "arrows" on the fretboard and with a "striped" tortoise pickguard. They said it was an Advanced Jumbo and it was marked $1999' date=' but the dude told me it was mismarked and was really $1499. If purchasing it had not meant certain divorce, I would have taken it home on the spot, but I think it was either not really an AJ or was not priced correctly.[/quote']

Hey Powerpopper. GC definitely is selling AJs for 1499. They had two in my store when I went to try out a Taylor Baby and a Little Martin as a travel guitar. I was sitting there trying out those when I looked at the center display and saw them. I always wanted a Gibson acoustic to add to my collection but couldn't justify the price. I played both and both sounded great. One was pretty rough, scratches and a crack in the side, and the other just had some scratches, etc., but was otherwise very solid. They were both 2005s and probably were in GCs inventory too long. I checked their serial numbers and did some other reasearch over night. I got more and more interested in this guitar.

Somehow I went from trying out little travel guitars to walking out the next day with the better of the two AJs for 1300 with full warranty. An hour of naptha, petros restorer, and Petros polish and the guitar is simply beautiful. If you don't mind a really loud guitar, they have a wonderful sound.

Could be they're trying to 'move the market'. Or... It's just old inventory that got another year older after New Years. 1499 for a Gibson? that means they ought to be selling Epis for.... a buck ninety eight.... right?

I just saw this thread and wanted to add that I bought a new, 2007 Gibson Advanced Jumbo with case at Guitar Center for $1,499.97 today. There are no scratches on it or anything. It just needed a polishing and new strings.

Archived