Gibson Brands Forums

mixer/DI box (bluesking777)

blindboygrunt

BK mentioned his little mixing desk / box to get over the problem of reverb for voice and guitar. sounds like a good idea. and , as he says , get it right and rip the nobs off .

What should I be looking for ?

I am assuming then that it can be brought to any venue and simply set the PA to zero and use your own setting between you and it ?

or do you just put the voice through it and then tweak the guitar setting on the amp/PA?

any recommendations without breaking the bank ??

As you also say , it's unnerving hearing yourself through speakers with effects after practicing in the house for a while.

I knew I should gave taken a cut on the catchily titled Allen & Heath ZED 60 10FX.....

It has all the ins and outs you would need and if you want to ask one friend/singer guitarist, or even a keyboard and of course the DVD player plug for entertaining the crowd while you are off holding the bar together. For a smallish gig, add ONE powered speaker depending on finances ultimate is the JBL....don't need a PA.

Next step - stereo - 2 powered JBLs.

Large outdoor concert type gig - line outs a plenty.

All my recent SoundCloud recordings have been through the mixer USB to iMac....

BluesKing777.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291020389554&alt=web

this thing ?

looks a bit busy .

and did you read the 'not break the bank' part ? :)

250 quid slide to save for !!

is there anything smaller ? its only me on my ownsome. bit of reverb on the mic ? maybe some bass/treble to tweak. would that not cut it ??

cheers BK

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291020389554&alt=web

this thing ?

looks a bit busy .

and did you read the 'not break the bank' part ? :)

250 quid slide to save for !!

is there anything smaller ? its only me on my ownsome. bit of reverb on the mic ? maybe some bass/treble to tweak. would that not cut it ??

cheers BK

The huge advantage of forking out for the A&H is that the sound quality is great for Shure SM57s straight in and OUT! An SM57/58 will highlight the poxiness of any live style preamp! I really like mine and I have played in quite a few POSs over the years, especially the POS house jobby at the locals. I tremble in fear at the memory. For the money, this is a dream compared to the rubbish 80s stuff that is EVERYWHERE.

Budget numbers - Yamaha has the MG06X with some effects, and Behringer has some little mixers with effects....I have never tried them.. Plenty of others around.

Used Mackies are around - very similar quality to the A&H.

You could go real budget and Jerry-rig a guitar reverb pedal to a Behringer mixer with no effects, but you are probably better off using your guitar amp.

Perhaps an expert live player could jump in here and give an update.

BluesKing777.

The A&H preamps are great quality for the price they are, and hold their own pretty well against much more expensive mixers. A producer friend uses one of the larger ZED series desks for location recording and has made quite a few records on it, so they're capable of pro level results. I have an old British made A&H console which takes a fair bit of maintaining but it's a great desk - it's no Neve, sure, but very characterful and lovely to mix on so that one will do me - although it takes four people to lift it so not exactly the best for portability!

I used to use the Yamaha MG series for monitoring duties when home recording - they're not at all bad, not as detailed as the A&H preamps but it'd be a good choice if you're a singer / guitarist on a budget wanting to mix signals and add a little reverb before plugging into a PA. I've never been keen on the Behringer - never tried to record with one, but used to use a rehearsal studio that had their powered mixers and found them pretty sterile and thin. Mackie I've no personal experience of, but I think they're pitched a little below the ZED series A&H.

I use this tiny Mackie - always amazed at how versatile it is for such a compact mixer, and the sound quality is certainly a nice step up from the Behringers, etc. $100.

At home it blends my stereo, computer, record player, and keyboard into a pair of powered Yamaha monitors, and out and about it is an easy 2-mic setup.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-vlz4-series-402vlz4-4-channel-ultra-compact-mixer

The Yamaha BK mentioned looks similar but does include a reverb / delay effect for the two main channels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-mg06x-6-channel-mixer

I use this tiny Mackie - always amazed at how versatile it is for such a compact mixer, and the sound quality is certainly a nice step up from the Behringers, etc. $100.

At home it blends my stereo, computer, record player, and keyboard into a pair of powered Yamaha monitors, and out and about it is an easy 2-mic setup.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-vlz4-series-402vlz4-4-channel-ultra-compact-mixer

And this Yamaha looks similar but does include a reverb / delay effect for the two main channels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-mg06x-6-channel-mixer

that's what was I my head when I started this thread .....

Where's the reverb nob ?

On the Yamaha, channels 1 and 2 both have the blue FX on / off switch. In the center of the box it looks like you can choose from one of three reverbs OR one of three delays, and set the master FX amount that will be applied.

So it's a little bit limited, but you can always step up to the next size unit to gain a lot more per-channel EQ + FX control.

The Yamaha with FX would get the job done with a powered speaker!

Workmanlike, but to me, a bit sterile sounding the ones I have played through....I'm thinking Taylor vs you know ...

Whereas you cough for the little A&H and you get to drive a beautiful convertible instead of the Hyundai Xcel....

YMMV.

There are waaaaaaay better ones than the A&H, but it does EXACTLY what I ask of it, so far.

BluesKing777.

Whatever you get, don't throw the box out til you get a booze proof, I mean water proof case.....

Here is a track I did a while back - 'Homeward Bound" by Paul Simon.

The effects section of the mixer has some pre-mixed settings for an echo and reverb mix - I just add a sprinkle to each track, less for the guitar, whisker more for the vocal. I used my SM57 on the guitar and my Shure Bullit mic for the vocal - recorded 'live', EQ flat, sent out to Imac by the USB record out, where I trimmed the front and back noises but nothing else. In theory it should go straight to PAs the same...

(I like the lyrics)

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/homewardbound0777a

Archived