Gibson Brands Forums

Impressed by G1275

cody78

I recently purchased a used Epiphone G 1275 and thought I would share my experiences of it so far with the forum and also see what other members think of their doublenecks.

I got it for a bargain £495 with hardcase and the guitar itself is in pretty much mint condition, except some wear marks on the black plastic guard areas. Action, set up and intonation are all spot on and it sounds pretty darn good. I have 3 Gibson SG's and whilst this probably doesn't sound as good as them, the tone really isn't light years away to be honest. It is a Korean model, late 90's I think. I read some reviews about 1275's - both Gibson and Epi, and players complaining about the lack of the high fret access, but once you adapt to this it really isn't too bad. The guitar is super heavy, but with a wide padded strap it's weight is just a tad more than a very heavy Les Paul!

I've been playing guitar for 23 years and have to say this is one versatile instrument. Drones with alternate tunings can be achieved with one neck whilst playing melodies/ improvisations on the other and the blend of both necks sounds really great - it opens a whole new realm of playing possibilities.

The only down side I can think of is the guitars association with some guy named Jimmy Page! To me John McLaughlin was the ultimate EDS 1275 player, even if he did only use it for a couple of years back in the 70's... and besides I believe you can play anything on any guitar and if you have feel, tone and good technique then it is going to sound good! Think of Joe Pass in his early days using a Fender! He sounded great! Anyway getting off the point there...

In conclusion this is a fine instrument and a welcome addition to the collection.

That is a beauty. Takes me back to my younger days (1970's) when I owned a used but well kept Mosrite Joe Maphis double neck. I can relate to the weight, was pretty much a beginner and soon after purchasing a baby was on the way and I needed some extra money. Still have the kid, and I sure miss the guitar. Joe Maphis was no slouch as a guitar player either. Once again enjoy.

That is a beauty. Takes me back to my younger days (1970's) when I owned a used but well kept Mosrite Joe Maphis double neck. I can relate to the weight, was pretty much a beginner and soon after purchasing a baby was on the way and I needed some extra money. Still have the kid, and I sure miss the guitar. Joe Maphis was no slouch as a guitar player either. Once again enjoy.

Thanks bluesman. I like your comment about 'still have the kid but miss the guitar!' Also, I hadn't heard of Joe Maphis so I looked up a few videos of his... Wow! What a great player. I found a cracking version of him doing Foggy Mountain Breakdown and his Mosrite is pretty cool too [thumbup]

Archived