Gibson Brands Forums

customise a guitar

awel

I may be crazy but even if I have some good american guitars, I want more and more to start from a mexican standard fender strat, but customise, perhapd change the electronics but most important, change the pickup configuration, I want back a HSH pickup config, the most versatile config IMO but I don't like the wide flat neck of Ibanez or Jackson . I don't need a floyd rose but I like the idea of a vintage tremolo

I am thniking about a Pearly Gates or a SH4 (does somebody here already tried both and can tell me the sound differences) for the treble side but for the neck I don't know, SH1?

Honestly I think Mexican strat are really good, I want a guitar that is able to handle all my music style, blues, blues rock, classic rock that will become my #1 guitar

I forgot, I want a white or a black one (more oriented to a white one)

Am I crazy? :-"

I may be crazy ...

Am I crazy? :-"

No. You're just looking for tone in my opinion.

My starting point has been the same: buying MIM Fender Strats as previously intended construction areas. However, my direction has been the opposite. All of them four were Floyd Rose HSS Stratocasters stock. I had two of these modded for different Fender Noiseless SSS, the other two for different Fender Noiseless SSS & Graph Tech piezos.

They are the perfect complements to my Gibson Les Paul guitars, including an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess also featuring the Graph Tech piezo Floyd Rose which inspired me to having two Strats modded this way.

While I'm not generally a fan of humbuckers in Strats, I understand what you are going for. I've used the Pearly Gates and found it to be a great pup. I've also used the SH4 (JB) and the SH1 (59). I've used the SH5 in Strats as well. It really depends on what you want. The SH1 is the lowest gain - very traditional PAF. The PG is just a bit hotter - more importantly is has a nice midrange hump that I really like. The JB is a raging hot mofo - but good. [biggrin] You could put the SH1 or the PG in the neck or bridge no problem. Either would be fine with the hotter JB in the bridge.

That said, if you are looking for gain, the best humbucker in a strat sound I have ever gotten came from a GFS VEH humbucker - based on the early Van Halen strats.

Whatever pickups you use, I suggest you use locking tuners with the vintage tremolo. This let's you get some near Floyd action without the Floyd hassle. Sperzels are great!

No. You're just looking for tone in my opinion.

My starting point has been the same: buying MIM Fender Strats as previously intended construction areas. However, my direction has been the opposite. All of them four were Floyd Rose HSS Stratocasters stock. I had two of these modded for different Fender Noiseless SSS, the other two for different Fender Noiseless SSS & Graph Tech piezos.

They are the perfect complements to my Gibson Les Paul guitars, including an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess also featuring the Graph Tech piezo Floyd Rose which inspired me to having two Strats modded this way.

Interesting because most of the first mod people make is to switch the bridge pickup for a humbucker, so sound is really a personal quest [thumbup]

While I'm not generally a fan of humbuckers in Strats, I understand what you are going for. I've used the Pearly Gates and found it to be a great pup. I've also used the SH4 (JB) and the SH1 (59). I've used the SH5 in Strats as well. It really depends on what you want. The SH1 is the lowest gain - very traditional PAF. The PG is just a bit hotter - more importantly is has a nice midrange hump that I really like. The JB is a raging hot mofo - but good. [biggrin] You could put the SH1 or the PG in the neck or bridge no problem. Either would be fine with the hotter JB in the bridge.

That said, if you are looking for gain, the best humbucker in a strat sound I have ever gotten came from a GFS VEH humbucker - based on the early Van Halen strats.

Whatever pickups you use, I suggest you use locking tuners with the vintage tremolo. This let's you get some near Floyd action without the Floyd hassle. Sperzels are great!

I forgot the locking tuners, but for sure this will be part of the mod.

Really, the PG in neck position?

When you ask what I am looking for, It is more vintage type sound

Of course, I have to admit that I have twenty-seven years of Floyd Rose experience due to my Ibanez RG 430 featuring the Ibanez Edge system. But when about this one, I haven't been doing anything to it except changing strings since my latest gauge change in 2001. Same is valid for all of my six FR guitars since a few days after purchase.

OK, one has to always have the FR tools and a string cutter at hand, but the only hassle with FR systems is setting action. Putting a thick cloth between rear bridge end and top, tuning completely down, removing all the springs, setting posts, reassembly for checking - and all over again in case it's not as desired. But this is a single operation, once and forever. Within the first week of new springs they will call for retightening to obtain balance, but that's it.

When changing strings and taking into account the entire time from tuning down the first string one until the tuning is stable after resringing, restringing FR guitars takes me no longer than any hardtail regardless of tuners. The only challenge to get a feel for is locking the wound strings within the small range between securely clamping the cores within the squeezed wound wire and destroying the threads. However, I never had a problem with it.

In the end, my FR axes are the only ones I don't even have to check tuning. They are always fine right out of the case, whenever and wherever. And as for tools, in each guitar and bass case of mine is a string cutter. You can never know.

Really, the PG in neck position?

When you ask what I am looking for, It is more vintage type sound

By vintage you mean an old PAF? Cuz you won't be getting that with the JB! :rolleyes: I like the JB pickup a lot, but I wouldn't call it vintage in that it's output is double a vintage PAF.

Stick with the SH1 for vintage. They make bridge and neck configurations. Personally I prefer the bit of added midrange in the Pearly Gates model - still close to vintage output.

Interesting because most of the first mod people make is to switch the bridge pickup for a humbucker, so sound is really a personal quest [thumbup]

Using stacked noiseless pickups won't allow for using a bridge humbucker for a humbucking bridge single coil/middle switch position. So a conventional bridge humbucker wasn't an option. The bridge/middle and neck/middle combinations are definitely crucial for me, or I could do without Strats, too. [biggrin]

Using stacked noiseless pickups won't allow for using a bridge humbucker for a humbucking bridge single coil/middle switch position. So a conventional bridge humbucker wasn't an option. The bridge/middle and neck/middle combinations are definitely crucial for me, or I could do without Strats, too. [biggrin]

+1 [thumbup]

Archived