Gibson Brands Forums

ES-137C vs Howard Roberts Fusion III

Barry

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two guitars, specifically the necks? I have played a 137C & liked it a lot. The neck was a bit thicker than I prefer. From what I am reading, it seems the HRF may be a bit smaller; however, I cannot find one to do a test run.

Thanks

I'm not going to be that helpful but I also had the same decision to make that is an ES-137C vs a Howard Roberts fusion. I bought the ES137C because it seemed to be a bigger semi acoustic and the one I bought played really well.

Why did I like it? Because it sounded great without an amp - quite loud and I liked the big neck. Also the varitone switch gives lots of tone options. Also the Custom featues look great - ebony fretboard, diamond head, gold hardware etc.I play mostly a softer jazz style and I liked the 137 for this. However the ES 137C would also be a great blues guitar.

I did play a Howard Roberts but in the end I just preferred the overall package of the ES 137C.

Thanks Alan,

Did you find much difference in playability or range of sound b/w the two? I do understand the acoustical aspect with the 137 being a plus. Was the HRF that much different? I am guessing from what you are saying is the HRF is a smaller body instrument, is that correct?

Again thanks

I didn't make it that clear that my ES 137C is a Custom not a Classic.

Also I note that the Gibson Website has been updated and there is now no reference to 137 Customs or Howard Roberts fusions??? Not sure why. Regards,

I have an ES-135 and it has a '59 rounded neck.

My 135 has a fat 50s neck' date=' but my 175 and 137 custom both have the 59 neck.

But back ot, you [b']really[/b] shouldn't go on what anybody tells you about which guitar is better. You simply have to play them both and decide which is better for you. For me, I go with feel, then sound, then cosmetic features (inlays, binding, gold, etc). The HRF is slightly more compact & the cutaway is subtly different -- I never played one though. I don't know if it has a center block either.

Archived