Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Noise

saturn

Has anyone ever experienced this:

For the past two days I've noticed my LP is making a strange creaking type sound. At first I thought maybe the leather strap was somehow creaking when I moved the guitar. Then I realized that it's coming from the amp, but it definately happens only when I move the guitar. I tried messing with the cord, but that doesn't seem to have any thing to do with it. It seems that when I physically move the guitar through the air it makes that sound from the amp. When I turned the guitars volume knob down it didn't do it. Any ideas anyone?

Now that you mention it, we have the same axe, and i was playing with mine about ten minutes ago cause i just set up the new l6 tailpiece and i was cold and hyper like usual and my leg always shakes wildly for no reason, however it was creating a lot of noise. A creaking or squeeky type of noise. When i stopped moving, it subsided too. It only came through the amp. Obviously i wouldn't be playing like this normally, but i didn't experiment any further to see if walking would also cause it to make this noise. It was a little weird, but nothing unusual. Usually moving an instrument while it's in play is sure to cause something to gear in. Especially on my trem guitars. If i am moving a lot, there will be some response from my axe :P

Yeah, mine has always had a little bit of a grounding issue. It will occasionally buzz or hum slightly, and when I touch the strings or tail piece it goes away. This just started though. I can describe it as the way an old door might creak. This was while playing through my Vox amp. I think I'll plug into my B-52 when I get a chance and see if it still happens.

Thanks.

I can describe it as the way an old door might creak.

Our bass player plays and old Fender Jazz Bass with a big leather strap. On command, he can make a noise that sounds so much like an old ship's mast creaking, it's almost creepy. Sounds like the same noise as your "door creak". He uses it as a sound effect, I'll ask him if he knows what causes it.

Could it possibly be a static discharge? Given that it is winter, the basic coating on the neck is a plastic formula, depending upon what you are wearing and bingo.. May be static electricity. Over the years Gibson had this problems with the 335 (for some reason not mine), I had a lovely new LP '59 RI ('06) that was eventullay replaced by the factory because they couldn't find the problem. Might think about this...

Best of luck..

Archived