Gibson Brands Forums

Dnh speaker. Vintage c12n jensen

turtle

This guy contacted me about buying a dnh alnico 12" and a jensen c12n vintage USA- anyone know how the USA and newer jensens compare? And what is a DNH speaker? Any good for Geetar? I put an add up for some 12" speakers for my guitar rig and he contacted me. Thanks guys

DNH is an industrial/commercial type of speaker. Some of the more engineering qualified people here can tell you why they will be The Suck for guitar. I'll just tell you based on experience with such speakers and the epic. fail. people suffer when they try them, they are The Suck for guitar.

Jensens have always been good for me, well, lots of others too. The new use of the name was made in Italy when they first came back, 15 years ago or so. I had four or six of those in amps and cabinets in that time. Softer than a Celestion by far. If you aren't a giant fan of Celestion, and lets be honest we can't all use them, you'll be happy with the old Jensen if the seller doesn't want a mortgage for it and it isn't torn.

rct

The Italian Jensens and the US ones are very different speakers.

As for the Italian ones, I have heard them in SOME amps that they sound good or OK. The problem is that when you use them as replacements for the amps that had the origonal Jensens, they are way, way too bright.

As for the real C12N, it has a certain thing in the Midrange, or maybe the upper midrange that gives it a creamy sound, a smoothness to it that some might call "fendery". It seems to have that character in most amps even if they aren't Fender amps.

For a time, it was real popular to use the C12N as a replacement speaker. In a an amp like a blackfaced Deluxe Reverb, it was THE speaker to use, partly because it boost the volume to make the smaller amp more useful, and partly because a Jensen can be considerec an upgrade from the Oxford, and partly because the C12R or C12Q would blow eventually in the amps they were usually put in.

For 60 bucks, you should get it, just to have. If you are the kind of guy who likes old Fender amps or Fender clones, you WILL end up liking it in at least something at some point. It's useful just to be able to try it so as to know what they sound like. Niether the Italian C12N or the Weber version sound anything like it. I don't know what does.

Also, if you end up using ANY old Jensen regular-like, expect it to blow at some point. And you might suspect it has been re-coned or doesn't work. If the cone LOOKS good and doesn't have holes on the edges, and it pushes in and out without rubbing, chances are pretty good that it is a working speaker. Obviously, you want to authenticate it, so be sure to check the date code. It should be a dull blue color with a satin-like finish, or be black.

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the info! I love fender amp tones. Also, it's for both speakers- c-12n and the dnh alnico. Both 8 ohms. Only question is- what do you mean by rubbing? Is there a way to check it and or test if it is not installed in a cab? Thanks again-

I've got six 12" 8 ohm guitar speakers that I'm putting up for sale.

4 - Eminence PR-705

1 - Fender "Rola"

1 - Fender "Oxford"

If anybody's interested, I can furnish numbers and prices. Shoot me a PM.

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the info! I love fender amp tones. Also, it's for both speakers- c-12n and the dnh alnico. Both 8 ohms. Only question is- what do you mean by rubbing? Is there a way to check it and or test if it is not installed in a cab? Thanks again-

Both speakers- who cares? consider the other a "gift" and don't look it in the mouth. The only thing relevant here is 60 bucks, and Jensen C12N. The Jensen alone is worth 60 bucks if it's blown. The question of if you WANT a blown speaker that you have to re-cone is another deal. It's not like you can't find them anywhere for about 60 more or less.

If it's in the cab, you can simply play through it. That is, if it's in a guitar cab. When they are starting to go, they will have a tendency to make a buzzing or farting noise on peaks and loud volumes. But that doesn't tell how the paper cone is doing.

If you can get access to the cone from the front, you want to inspect the paper itself. The cone will likely be soft(ish), but what you are looking for is paper thinning out around the edges especially. Obviously, there may be a hole or puncture from a tool or a cat, that's a different story. Looking at how thin the paper is on the edges tells you how much life you may have left.

The other issue with old guitar speakers, in particular Jensens, is the coil inside will start to come undone. To check for that, you GENTLY, push the cone in and sort of feel for possible rubbing. If you push it off-center, it will rub. What you are checking for is that when pushed straight (as in the way it does naturally when sound going through it), it is moving freely.

The reality is that the only way to inspect the whole thing is by doing ALL of the above. You HAVE to both play it, check the condition of the cone visually, and get a feel for any rubbing. And even then, it really IS a matter of time when it will blow anyway. But for 60 bucks and a working speaker, you check all you can resonably without the guy being expected to take everything apart. You take your own chance at some point here. If he is OK with it, great. If not, you might consider that if the speaker was fully checked out and found to be working and in excellent shape, it's going to be worth a lot more than 60 bucks.

It could be a re-cone as well, and he might not know. Then it comes down to what it actually sounds like. If you like it. 60 bucks for a re-cone is a personal choice.

Sorry, read that wrong:

If it isn't in the cab, you can use a 9 volt battery to check that the speaker actually works. All you need to see is movement in the cone- you don't want to leave it there.

To get an idea of the CONDITION of the speaker, as I said before, push the cone straight as you can gently and insure it doesn't have friction. It will have friction when pushed NOT straight, but if you can't get it to push without friction pushing it straight, it has issues.

Also, obviously, the condition of the paper. It will eventually get thin and disintigrate. What stage is it at? Check it and take your best guess.

9 times out of 10, if these things check out, it is a good speaker. No guareentee though. And again, I stress you will NOT get a guareentee on any old Jensen no matter how well everything checks out.

Archived