Gibson Brands Forums

P90 or ES

houndman55

Hey,

Which one do you think I Should buy? The epiphone les paul standard 1956 pro or the epiphone les paul es pro? I like em' both but I can't afford both though. I really like P90 and I think it's a shame that they're not used more but the es is really cool. My pet peeve with les pauls is the weight and according to chappers the es is supposed to be really light and not to mention it's semi-hollow. But then again the les paul goldtop p90 is really awesome and it's rare as heck.

My favorite Epi is an LP ES from '99, which doesn't mean much when comparing with the new ES model that they sell now and that I have never played.

But, if you can't do a side by side comparison, I'd go for the ES. There are lots of EPI LPs around but only once every 10-15 years do they put F-holes in them. It will solve your weight issue, and you can always put HB sized P90 pickups in if you feel the need.

I tend to agree with the above...

The playability of one neck/instrument vs another is IMHO more important than the search for tone or looks. And as is noted, pups can be changed.

Still, you're not likely to find me "playing out" with a 17-18-inch flattop or archtop because I'm just not comfortable with 'em and don't play them as well. Or a 1.6" or at the other side a 1.8" nut width or anything much under a 12" fingerboard radius - and I work much better with the 24 3/4 scale than the 25 1/2. Ditto the Les Paul in any iteration - or a Strat or...

m

Archived