Gibson Brands Forums

Lzzy Hale Explorer Owners Board

ZuWa

. But after looking at it, I noticed that the strings now rest on the back edge of the Bridge as they go back to the Stop Bar. To fix that, I threaded my strings through the Stop Bar in reverse so the string comes out towards the back of the guitar and then up over the Stop Bar and on to the Bridge (hope that made sense and sorry I know a picture would help here). Anybody have any thoughts on doing this good, bad, or ugly?

That is called top wrapping.....nothing wrong with it....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One other thing I forgot to mention before on the Lzzy was I noticed that the Stop Bar now has little set screws on the hooks to hold them to the posts. None of my other Gibson have that so I'm guessing that this is something new. I'm wondering if it will gouge up the post and its finish. But, as long as you don't have to remove the Stop Bar, it will be OK.

The Lzzy has a Tone-Pro bridge and stop-bar.. The set screws prevent the bridge or stop-bar from falling off once your remove string tension. Helps maintaining your setup when you change strings.

The tuners are locking mini Grovers. Easy string changing. Have you checked them out?

Just ordered mine, not sure when it'll arrive seeing as I'm in Canada but hopefully it gets here before my next gig. [wink]

Excellent! Who did you order from? Is it coming from the States?

I bought a guitar from Canada once and it was a pain to get it through Customs. It was American made with documentation but it still took a lot of phone calls and paperwork to repatriate it.

Hope you get it in the mail soon!

While I'm on the Stop Bar, another thing is that the posts are not screwed in all the way. I've heard from others that, if you screw them in all the way, it will actually add to the guitar's susatin. I've noticed that some of my other Gibsons don't have the posts screwed in all the way. I tried it with a 2013 Les Paul and, at least to me, I thought it did indeed add to the sustain. But after looking at it, I noticed that the strings now rest on the back edge of the Bridge as they go back to the Stop Bar. To fix that, I threaded my strings through the Stop Bar in reverse so the string comes out towards the back of the guitar and then up over the Stop Bar and on to the Bridge (hope that made sense and sorry I know a picture would help here). Anybody have any thoughts on doing this good, bad, or ugly?

You don't have to have the stop-bar screwed all the way down. I will raise it somewhat to make sure the strings don't hit the back of the bridge. If a little more room is needed I'll flip a saddle or two around. This very often will give you enough clearance to not necessitate a top wrap.

Excellent! Who did you order from? Is it coming from the States?

I bought a guitar from Canada once and it was a pain to get it through Customs. It was American made with documentation but it still took a lot of phone calls and paperwork to repatriate it.

Hope you get it in the mail soon!

I actually ordered it through Long & Mcquade, which is a large scale music store chain, I think the largest in Canada. Doesn't compare to U.S. chains like Sam Ash, GC, AMS, though. On a whole Canada is very scant when it comes to music/guitar retailers.

L&M is only allotted SEVEN in total for the entire chain and four were already purchased so there are only two left up for grabs. I will have to drive about an hour to pick it up when it arrives at the store. I just don't know exactly when it will get there.

I actually ordered it through Long & Mcquade, which is a large scale music store chain, I think the largest in Canada. Doesn't compare to U.S. chains like Sam Ash, GC, AMS, though. On a whole Canada is very scant when it comes to music/guitar retailers.

L&M is only allotted SEVEN in total for the entire chain and four were already purchased so there are only two left up for grabs. I will have to drive about an hour to pick it up when it arrives at the store. I just don't know exactly when it will get there.

Excellent that you don't have to deal with Customs issues.

I remember seeing their web page when I was doing my research. Apparently they are just shipping it between stores, or between a warehouse and a store.

I imaging you'll have it very soon.

There's nothing like waiting for a new guitar to arrive. Enjoy the anticipation, and post pics, videos, and sound clips once you have it in hand!

Excellent that you don't have to deal with Customs issues.

I remember seeing their web page when I was doing my research. Apparently they are just shipping it between stores, or between a warehouse and a store.

I imaging you'll have it very soon.

There's nothing like waiting for a new guitar to arrive. Enjoy the anticipation, and post pics, videos, and sound clips once you have it in hand!

I'm not even sure if the chain has received the guitars yet or if they've even entered the country from Gibson. Once they cross the border it'll probably be another day or two. I have a BK Golden Axe and am anxious to compare the two.

Gotcha. Keep us posted. How do you like the Golden Axe? I almost pulled the trigger on that a few times. How are the pickups? What kind of amp do you use?

I love the Golden Axe so much I'm afraid to bring it to gigs for fear something bad will happen to it. The pups sound fantastic. I usually play through either one of two half-stacks, 100W Marshall JCM800 or a 60W Marshall TSL and I also have a 40W Marshall DSL combo amp, depending on the venue.

I love the Golden Axe so much I'm afraid to bring it to gigs for fear something bad will happen to it. The pups sound fantastic. I usually play through either one of two half-stacks, 100W Marshall JCM800 or a 60W Marshall TSL and I also have a 40W Marshall DSL combo amp, depending on the venue.

You are wise. Something may happen to it so be careful!!! Guitars go missing after gigs all of the time.

I play through two rigs, depending. I have an old four input Marshall JMP-MKii half stack for some gigs and two Tech 21 amps and a PODxt for others.

The Trademarks/PODxt get played more often lately just because it's just so darn easy to set up. No worries about anyone walking off with anything valuable either!

The best tone obviously comes from the JMP into the 4xz12 with orig greenbacks. It pushes air. THUMP. Great full tone.

For gigs the Tech 21/ Line 6 rigs works perfectly. Very flexible as far as tones go and the folks listening don't care about solid state, tubes, "greenbacks" ect.

Guitars do get attention though. The Golden Axe, and Lzzy once you get her, will generate a lot of conversations by the bar.

You are wise. Something may happen to it so be careful!!! Guitars go missing after gigs all of the time.

I play through two rigs, depending. I have an old four input Marshall JMP-MKii half stack for some gigs and two Tech 21 amps and a PODxt for others.

The Trademarks/PODxt get played more often lately just because it's just so darn easy to set up. No worries about anyone walking off with anything valuable either!

The best tone obviously comes from the JMP into the 4xz12 with orig greenbacks. It pushes air. THUMP. Great full tone.

For gigs the Tech 21/ Line 6 rigs works perfectly. Very flexible as far as tones go and the folks listening don't care about solid state, tubes, "greenbacks" ect.

Guitars do get attention though. The Golden Axe, and Lzzy once you get her, will generate a lot of conversations by the bar.

I had a Washburn Paul Stanley PS1800 with cracked mirror finish that I recently sold. Although I bought it as a collector guitar I brought it out a couple of times and people really dug it. I got more comments about it than any of my other guitars except my LP Supreme.

Well, It's Monday now and I'm reliving all the fun I had last Saturday. I was able to spend a lot of time comparing the Golden Axe with Lzzy.

Here we go:

The neck on the Axe is the same thickness as the Lzzy but the Axe was wider. It's not an uncomfortable thing going from one to the other but you do feel the difference.

I like the 2 volume pots on the Lizzy because I can add a little more flavoring with them.

I like the switch location on the Axe because, to me, I'm more use to going there as compared to the Lzzy. I actually caught myself switching with my left hand on the lzzy a couple of times.

I have not touched the set up on either guitars and I found that the Lzzy was set a bit lower than the Axe. But this can be luck of the draw.

I compared body size and, side by side, I could not tell a difference in either size or thickness. These 2 are very similar in that aspect.

They both seem to stay in tune about the same for me. If I bend a lot and push the strings while playing, I'll end up fine tuning on either one of them eventually.

I got to say, as I sit back and look at them, I really like the depth you see in the finish of the Axe. The Lzzy is white, very white.

The sound was quite different between the 2. To me, with my ears and amp set up, the Axe has a more limited sound than the Lzzy. Not that either has a bad sound in them. The tone from the Axe was of a narrower band and with a higher output. So the Hemi's are hotter. The Lzzy had a wider fuller tone and there was more of a distinction between the neck and the bridge pups on the Lzzy as compared to the Axe. Some of this might also have to do with the 2 volume pots on the Lzzy. Either of these 2 can go full on metal if need be but the Axe gets ya there faster. So, if you are doing a show that is more to the metal flavor, I'd suggest going to the Axe. If you are doing a show with a larger variety of songs, I'd suggest strapping up with Lzzy.

If you are into Explorers, neither of these 2 guitars will let you down.

Right now, for me, I pick up the Lzzy before I pick up the Axe. Maybe because Lzzy is newer. But eventually, that Axe will be in my hands before the night is over.

Love them both and Love being able to play them both.

Called my dealer today, they could provide absolutely NO info as to when mine will arrive. Apparently the Canadian Gibson distributor doesn't even know, only that Gibson said their shipment was 'on backorder'. I even called Gibson to see if they could tell me approximately when the retailer's order would be filled and no one there knew a thing. This might end up being months, who knows. I have a bad feeling that I won't end up even getting my order filled.

Good Luck 1982JCM. I did a quick search and could only find 2 in stock at Sam Ash. I know that's in the U.S. All the rest are waiting at least for 2 more weeks.

I'll keep my strings crossed for ya!

Thanks. Strangely enough I checked the L&M website a couple of hours ago and saw that ONE of their stores showed one 'in stock'. I called that particular store, which is about 3 hours from my house, and they confirmed that they indeed did have one 'in hand' and it hadn't even hit the sales floor yet.

I called the closest store to me, about 20 minutes away, and ended up arranging for them to get it shipped to them on a store transfer, which will end up saving me a 3 hour round-trip drive. After making sure my second deposit was accepted I called the first store and cancelled the initial order so if all goes well I may have it this Wednesday.

At first it sounded like IF I got the first order it might not come in until after Christmas seeing as no one seemed to have any idea when or if the shipment would arrive. I don't know how that one particular store managed to get one in when the rest of the chain was backordered but at least I was in the right place at the right time and found it. Weird to say the least...........

I actually did the same thing. I had one on order from an online vendor but by doing research I found another vendor had just gotten some in stock. Once I confirmed the second vendor indeed had one and would ship immediately I canceled my first order. Gibson has not released the total number of guitars that will be made so it's possible they will fill all orders to maximize their profit. It's also possible that some waiting will never get one.

When I was looking for my Golden Axe there were a couple of websites that were taking pre-orders for a second shipment that never arrived. I didn't get in on the initial release but due to another Explorer purchase going south I only started looking for one WAY after the initial supply dried up.

I ended up getting one from AMS that was a blemish (albeit a VERY slight one) but it was the only online retailer in North America that had any left due to the short production run. I was initially going to wait for the second batch to arrive, good thing I didn't or I would have got shutout. I didn't want to ride on that boat again with this one.