Gibson Brands Forums

Current value of 1957 J-50adj

natstrat79

A 1957 J50 with the adjustable saddle just popped up locally and I might be seriously considering moving some vintage guitar amps to take this one on as I haven't played electric in about three years. No major cracks only one small crack by the sound hole that was professional repaired. Finish is really nice with no over-spray just a decent amount of pick wear around the sound hole. First five frets replaced and guitar setup was done. Seller claims no need for neck reset and wants 4k but this seems steep even considering the nice condition. Realistically how much capital should I be looking to raise through sales?

Without seeing it, I'd say $3000-$3500.depends on what it sounds like, and how it plays. Have you confirmed the year by the serial number? Most '57s I've seen have the fixed bridge. Is the centerline back strip stamped J-50 adj, or just J-50?

I guess when I say local I should say within driving distance since it is Iowa after all. The guitar is about 2.5 hours drive so I haven't laid hands on it yet. No Lifton case but the seller has what looks to be a brown alligator chipboard case of similar vintage in pretty much worthless condition pictured with the guitar. I'll email and see if I can get a better idea of serial number and whether the back strip is stamped or not.

That alligator chipboard case would have been the low-priced case option for the guitar. I bought a new one in the mod-1960's for $15, as I recall. The hard case was around $35 then.

If you get the guitar, the first thing you want to do is get a proper case for it, as those chipboard cases are dust covers, and not much else. A new, factory J-45 hard case will set you back about $150 from Musician's Friend or other sources. You can also find them used, in good shape, for about $100.

Don't cheap out on a case.

Archived