Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton pot replacement question

AXEL276

Hi all, new member here. I recently picked up a '94 Sheraton which I plan upgrade pickups, pots, nut, etc. I did see a bunch of good info here which is very helpful. I'd just like to get verification on pot sizes. I plan to do the Jimmy Page wiring (if possible). Will there be any problems getting a standard size push/pull pot thru the F holes?

Hi Axel, welcome. There are different widths of f-hole, but the most common seems to be about 28.5mm across the widest part. You can get a full size pot though this, but only just, and it is a struggle. Alpha's push-pull is 15mm across and should go through. I haven't done one but have heard on the forums of them being used. Actually did a quick google as I was remembering this and found a mention on the Seymour Duncan forum, under a thread titled push/pull mini pots.

You might have a wider f-hole. The other thing to check which some people have reported is that the channel for the pickup wires to exit the rear pickup rout is, in some cases, wide enough to get pots through. If you have one of these you are a very lucky Sheraton modder.

I have a Samick Sheraton that I put full size pots into, but it was a struggle and on first attempt I managed to break a solder join twisting the pots to find an angle they would pass throuh the tiny f hole. I'd probably go with mini pots if I were rewiring another.

Archived