Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker build confusion

newlife15

I am curious to know what truly is the difference between the stock Alnico II pickups found on an Epi Sheraton and Gibson 57 classics. I mean they both are constructed with the same material.

I was watching a video from Wildwood guitars and Greg Koch

Was playing an Epi Sheraton and he said the pickups were built overseas BUT with american parts

Is this true? Does Gibson send the pickup parts overseas for the asian factories to build?

Thanks

I am curious to know what truly is the difference between the stock Alnico II pickups found on an Epi Sheraton and Gibson 57 classics. I mean they both are constructed with the same material.

I was watching a video from Wildwood guitars and Greg Koch

Was playing an Epi Sheraton and he said the pickups were built overseas BUT with american parts

Is this true? Does Gibson send the pickup parts overseas for the asian factories to build?

Thanks

I think he is mistaken. Most Epi pickups are built overseas by the same companies that supply the hardware and I'm pretty sure they would supply their own parts to construct their pickups. it really wouldn't make much sense. I don't know any of the technical specs for either pickups but I can hear the difference in the two and there is a significant difference.

I have seen that video and I am sure that he is stating that the pickups are designed by Gibson USA.

I have no idea where the materials are sourced for their construction, but as stated above by LPS1976 I doubt it is from the US.

I love Greg Koch by the way! He can play and is funny as all get out! ;~)

jv

If I understand correctly, Epiphone's Probuckers are Asian sourced/built versions of Gibson's Burstbuckers.

I have guitars equipped with both. To me, they don't sound the same, BUT I think the Probucker is a very nice pickup in its own right.

The last Epiphone LP I bought came with the Probuckers and it's the only one of my Epiphones that I haven't changed the pikups on.

Ultimately, any of what you read online is just information. In the real world, the only thing that should really matter is what sounds good to your ear, not where or how it was made. As an example, I have a Gibson LP with Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday & Mule pickups. I know what's in there. I know what I paid for them. But the average listener can't tell the difference between them and my Epi with the stock Probuckers (Their appearance doesn't really help differentiate them either...except for the diffent headstock shapes, they're virtually identical - right down to the "Iced Tea" finish). And frankly, as long as the guitar sounds good, most of them couldn't care less.

Are the Bare Knuckles better pickups? Unquestionably - to a musician who can appreciate the difference. Does that mean the Probuckers suck? Absolutely not. As I said, IMO, nice pickups in their own right. But they are what they are...licensed Asian built versions of a highly regarded US designed/made pickup.

Archived