Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul limited custom Pro

slk

I bought a new Les Paul that has the Phase Reversal on one of the tone knobs. What would you use this feature for other than just a different sound. I have fooled with it some but not too much. Just wondering since I have not seen it on any other les pauls at GC since I got this one?????

Steve

Pulling the "phase" knob should make the sound radically different with both pickups on and same volume settings. This is known as "can sound" and as "Peter Green sound". In the latter case it was caused by an accidentally reversed pickup magnet in Peter Green's Les Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

What I like about that phase switch is that it gives you a new sound that you can achieve in middle position by flipping only one switch. It's kind of a pain when you're in middle position and trying to pull up both coil tap switches - though the coil taps are very nice to have when you're in neck or bridge position.

Yes I bit the bullet and got the Les Paul Limited Edition Custom Pro in Silver Burst. It is a great playing guitar. Very easy neck. Kind of effortless to play.......I hope the Lee Malia one is as nice...........

I've been using a push/pull pot to invert the polarity of the rhythm pickups on my recent builds. It's an odd sound. I like to combine it with the onboard passive distortion, low pass, and hi-pass. It sounds like something hipster boomers would hate. This can only be good.

Archived