Gibson Brands Forums

Another Jimmy Page Custom Complaint/Question

Archer993

One other issue that I have been avoiding but here it is.

When I got the guitar home I opened the case just about an inch and propped the lid up to let the guitar slowly acclimate to the change in temperature and humidity. The smell of solvents was extremely strong coming from inside the case - as if I opened a can of paint thinner. And I mean bad, my wife even commented on it.

So after about an hour I opened the case completely and removed the guitar. It wasn't the guitar that stunk - it was the inside of the case. My best guess is that an adhesive is used to hold the liner to the shell and the adhesive is still out gassing.

So the big question here is that since Gibson makes a really big deal of caring for the nitro finish of the Les Paul, could the fumes emitting from the adhesive affect the finish of the guitar? The guitar is closed in a case for who knows how long, essentially in a gas chamber.

Is there a "dry time" for this adhesive? Is this a new adhesive? My other Gibson cases don't smell like this.

my guess (and it's only a guess, without the instrument in hand) is that you're actually smelling a combination of the VOS chemicals and the lacquer. it's certainly possible that these smells could have worked into the fabric of the case during transit, which would lead you to believe it was the case you smelled...

I'm sure it's the case. I'd rather deal with you guys directly than Guitar Center . . . you know.

I'll give it another week open and then let you know.

My concern still stands as to the solvent emissions from the adhesive in the case chemically reacting with the finish on the guitar.

Archived